Go With coilovers???

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
I am thinking about getting a set of Coilovers for my Frontier. I know that some of you run them, and have posted images and updates about them.
For all of you who run them, weigh in here.

What kind are you using?

Are there Pro's and Cons that you have noticed?

What is your application?

What kind of off-roading do you do?

Do you feel it was a worthwhile investment?

and any other comments.

For the record, I've been in touch with Greg at PRG and and he has a package for a little over $2300 shipped, that would include 2.5 Radflo c/o, PRG UCA, 10 leaf pack (I'm guessing Deaver???)with Bilstein's.
I like that I can tell him what the truck is used for and it's weight unloaded vs. loaded for Exped use and he can tune the suspension in that direction.

:safari-rig:......Thanks Y'all

Applejack

Explorer
I believe he's asking about aftermarket coilovers. While it's true that the factory set-up is a "coil-over-shock" set-up, it's more common name is a strut type shock absorber.

mcm4090

Explorer
What kind are you using?
2.5 ICON

I can't think of any Cons, but only had them for a few weeks. AS for Pro's, the ride did improve on and off highway.

2005 Frontier NISMO 4x4, Steel wheels, 33" mud tires, sliders, and a full set of skids.

East Coast trails. A mixture of going though mud and going overs rocks.

Yes, I have busted to front shocks on two different trips. The first time I did not have a spare and was 200 miles from home.

and any other comments.

If I had the money I would have got after-market control arms at the same time.

Peck

Observer
What kind are you using?
-Icon 2.5

-Cons: I'm not to sure there is one, had them for about 4 months now and about 10K miles.
-Pros: Rides way better than the OEM coilover and spacer set up. Plus the adjustability of them let me tune the height to even out with the rear AAL.

2007 King Cab Frontier V6 4x4 6SPD. 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Rear Deaver 2.5" add a leaf. Rear Radflo emulsion shocks.

-Mainly beach and small trails to get to a fishing hole or something. Nothing hardcore, on a scale of 1 to 10 in severity, most it ranks about a 4.

-Yes. My lower back thanks me.

and any other comments.
-You can't go wrong with aftermarket coilovers. The fact that they can be custom tuned/valved to your needs is probably the best part. Not to mention they can be rebuilt for not to much money, thus saving money in the long run. No need to buy new shocks ever so often.

But most of that stuff get's "thrown out the window" when my new package arrives Monday. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears