Going to look at a 98 rodeo m/t 5spd tomorrow

Jamacee

Observer
I have been looking at troopers and came across what seems to be a good deal on a 98 rodeo m/t 4x4 194k on 3.2L for $3k obo

I joined planetisuzoo and asked over there but I also was looking for some insight from you portal'ers.

Someone school me a little on these things. It would serve predominantly as a DD. I know my 4runners but can't get passed how much truck you can get for the money. Same set up on a 3rd gen would be 6-9k.

I am hoping If all checks out I might get into this truck for around $2k.

Any advice or wisdom appreciated.

I had one of those a few years ago, but had to get rid of it because my kids couldn't fit in the back seat anymore. Great little rig from what I remember. The 3.2 has decent power for mild lifts and bigger tires, yet can also knock down good mileage, too. I bought mine with 130k on the original powertrain, but the previous owner had installed a Calmini 4in lift/bigger AT tires, and Warn premium manual hubs. On the open road, I consistently got 22-23mpg. I'm sure having the 5spd helped, as any slushbox will consume too much power from the smaller engines. I added a tow hitch to mine and would take to the mountains with my ATVs and dirtbikes all summer long. If it weren't for my kids needing more leg room, I probably wouldn't have traded it in. I had two issues with it the entire time I owned it, and that was a MAF sensor went out while on a Christmas roadtrip, and we also had a freak, one-time alternator issue where it wouldn't charge while on another road trip. I couldn't figure out the issue (retired diesel mechanic), and two other shops couldn't figure it out. There isn't a volt meter on the dash, only a dummy light. If that light starts shining, its too late and your battery is too dead for a restart. If you purchase this car, I would highly recommend buying a ScanGauge II. This device will plug straight into the OBDII computer port (under the dash) and monitor/display ALL of the sensor data from under the hood and read trouble codes. This will not only clue you in when your fuel pump or alternator is on the fritz, but also display instantaneous or averaged MPG. I got mine off Ebay for about $100, and it stays with me whenever I sell a car. Just my 2 pesos.

SHARP

I had one years ago. I used it for light travel and trails. No issues to speak of. Good on gas, fun to drive. Mine had almost 200k when I got rid of it...

borison

Adventurer
I drove and worked on the Honda version, the Passport, when they first came out and was very impressed. The 3.2 seemed pretty gutsy.

Jamacee

Observer
Sweet. I pretty much have only heard/read good things so far.

Anyone know how to tell the difference between a LS and a S model and whether or not it came with a LSD?

chasespeed

Explorer
LS is up level trim. S is basic IIRC.

LSD, check under the hood. On the firewall in front of the driver, is the option list. Looking for G80.

Bang the frame good above the rear suspension link mounts. Some have rotted there.

Make sure 4wd engages.

Mine has 170k. 265/16 duratracs and can still pull down around 20mpg(5spd).

Chase

Jamacee

Observer
Well I am having a issue this morning. The guy and I are having a issue on price. I don't want to give more than 2500 on a 98 rodeo with 195k which kbb/edmunds/nada shows 2500 on the high side and he won't come down lower than 2700.

Any advice? I decided to walk would y'all have done the same?

I found a 93 w/ 193k for $2k with all the same stuff 5spd/4x4/3.2L and I am still looking for troopers lol. I am just bummed b/c I took today off work to get this done.

nasko

Adventurer
hey mate, in general I would not brake a deal over $200. If you like it, and everything else turned out OK, why don't you try to split the difference and meet at $2600. That being said this is an advice from someone that has never seen the truck. Cheers and good luck

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
I picked mine up for less than 2k.

2700 for a 98 with a tick under 200k? Does it have leather? What else? Keep looking. Did he tell you it burns oil?

Chase

That would be an average price in my area, but still more than what I would want to pay for considering sub-200k. Sensors aren't cheap for these, and you know its only a matter of time.........

I think you made the right call to walk away. I just did the same on a couple of Suzuki Samurais. Had a verbal agreement for $2200, then came back at me for $2800. I skipped out. Know what you want, what its worth, and what you are willing to pay. Stick with that, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Jamacee

Observer
Well my fellow portal'ers I wound up getting a 99 TROOPER performance package w/ 141k auto for a great deal at $2500. Couldn't pass it up :)

Jamacee

Observer
I found a 93 trooper 5spd w/ 150k and records BUT... the guy was 3.5hrs south of me and his bottom dollar for completely stock rig was 3300. I had to pass at that price + drive time.

I got this auto b/c it has been taken good care of and has been owned locally since day 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12