Got a James Baroud, any lock options?

CuStOm

Adventurer
I picked up an Evasion this weekend. Pretty excited about it. I was curious if anyone figured out how to add a locking mechanism? It struck me as odd that there aren't any notches in the latches to add a small padlock or pin type lock. Any creative ideas out there or options that I missed?

Thanks!
Keith

1KdOtjo.jpg

photo nomad

Adventurer
Check with OK4WD/ James Baroud USA, but I believe you can put a pad lock on the existing latches by removing one piece. Can't remember which piece though.

Good looking truck/ RTT combo by the way! I'm waiting for my Evasion to show later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuStOm

Adventurer
Thanks, I will give them a call. Looking at the latches I am not sure how it's possible. They must provide a different piece.

Cheers,
Keith

Dartman

I picked up an Evasion this weekend. Pretty excited about it. I was curious if anyone figured out how to add a locking mechanism? It struck me as odd that there aren't any notches in the latches to add a small padlock or pin type lock. Any creative ideas out there or options that I missed?

Thanks!
Keith

1KdOtjo.jpg

Oh my goodness, I've been lurking forever and have learned so much. Haven't felt worthy of contributing anything yet. Finally, I can answer something! We are looking at the same tent, and I was at the local dealer the other day and had the exact same question. I am not very mechanical, so I will answer this the best I can. There is a little metal spring-loaded type clip on the upper latch mechanism that secures the latch in place once closed. All you have to do is pinch that piece together from the inside, and it will pop out. Then you put your padlock through the holes that the clip was in. You can put the clip back in once you are ready to use it. Sorry I can't show you any pictures but we haven't even ordered our tent yet. Still deciding.

Just curious, what made you choose the Evasion over the Explorer?

CuStOm

Adventurer
Awesome explanation. I will look closely at that.

I originally thought I wanted the Explorer but after opening and closing both and feeling how much harder it is to pull down the models designed to carry weight on them, it made me think hard if that was what I wanted. I am sure if you had 100 lbs on top the Struts would be more tolerable but without it takes a lot more effort to overcome the heavier Struts. My partner in adventures weighs 105 on a heavy day! It was just too much for her solo or helping. Once I realized how high the tent was I realized that I would never put anything up there nor do I want more weight that high. Between those two things, Evasion it was....

Hope that helps.

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'm 6'2", wife is 5'7" so I am worried the JB tents might be a tight fit for me.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
You guys are right, just remove any of the four spring clips and insert the lock of your choice! Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask myself :)

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
How tall are you and are you happy with the interior length?

The interior of the non- Grand Raid XXL tents accommodate up to 6' 5" persons and the GRXXL up to 7' 4". We are just East of Easton PA and have all models on display if you would like to test some out.

CuStOm

Adventurer
I figured out a good option:
Hitch pin lock, Master Lock 2847DAT. I cut it down to be the proper width.

x8gsFNl.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
I hate to say this but i think at 6'2" you might be disappointed. I'm 6' and it's tight for me. If i don't use a sleeping bag and just use a blanket, then it's not bad at all, but the extra padding at my feet of the sleeping bag mashes against the tent while my pillow mashes the other side. That's my #1 complaint on the tent, too short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman