Got offered a F650GS Dakar

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
A friend is offering me a 65,000 mile f650gs Dakar for $3k. I debating buying it for my daily commute and occasional passenger riding on road and fire roads.
dakar.jpg
I currently daily ride a DRZ400sm fully modded (not farkled). It's a good tractor and excellent offroad dirtbiking with friends. I'd likely keep it for supermoto-ing and dirtbiking and use the Dakar for grunt work which isn't as pleasant on the DRZ such as longer rides etc. Anyways, for those who have owned one, what are your thoughts on this bike? Yes, I've googled, but want to hear from y'all. :roost:

wesel123

Explorer
They are HORRIBLE!!!!! You really don't need it..........

But just to ease your guilt of letting a friend down by saying his bike sucks, give him my contact info. I'll bear the burden of taking it off his hands.....you know for your well being. :victory::victory::victory:

In all seriousness I would love one. I had a DRZ and it was awesome in the dirt but would always be pinning for something to get me from trail A to B, because we live in California you know how long that can be.

Can you swing both???

SWbySWesty

I could swing it, but then I'd have a bike simply sitting in the back yard under a cover waiting for use. Perhaps I should pass on this one until I have proper storage n stuff. Bikes be a disease...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Ah. I love mine. It's especially beautiful in mid-flight.
picture-18.jpg

In all seriousness, it's a really great machine. Depending on the condition of the wear items, that seems like a reasonable price. I paid $5800 for the same bike but with only 5000 miles on the ticker just this september.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To expand on my recommendation, I've been pleasantly surprised to find the Dakar does well enough for every situation I've put it through. It's better off-road than I am (see above). It is a little noodley up front when you really push it, or when trying to hold a line on severe off camber stuff, but it is surprising how good it handles most terrain. On the highway I think it's one of the best thumpers I've ever ridden. I've done a couple back to back 6-8 hour days on it at 70-75mph and it's not bad at all. A wee bit buzzy, but not too bad. Again, way better than most thumpers.

At 65 mph it will get 65-70 mpg all day long. It has ample power, although I'm regularly at the upper end of what it has to offer. It's quit comfortable for long hours and very easy to ride. So far it's also been quite cheap to maintain.

jjstahl3

Explorer
I have been looking for a drz for a while and thought about getting a dakar off craigslist but was persuaded to keep looking for a drz in that price range - I would buy it just to try it 3000 is my number I am trying to stay at or below I too would be interested if you pass

SWbySWesty

PM me your emails and I'll have him get in touch with you if you guys want! I'm going to pass on it.

jjstahl3

Explorer
Thanks I should have waited through the weekend but I pulled the trigger on this
e6azapuh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12