GPS / Phone Dash Mount RAM system

JMacs

Observer
I finally got around to making my second dash mount. The first one went in right after I got the truck. I would alternate between the phone and the GPS. Now that the phone is taking on more of an entertainment use while driving, I needed a second mount for the GPS. The premade solutions that just screw into the top piece of plastic above the radio don’t look like they would handle lots of vibration / weight. So, I came up with something that uses the same bolts that hold the radio in place. The pictures are from the passenger side mount. (Don’t have any from the driver’s side.) Same thing.

Take two pieces of sheet metal, 1” x 2-1/4” and 1” x 2-3/4”. Bend them ¾” from one end. Give one of them a twist with the aid of a vice and monkey wrench. Drill some holes. Add a piece of ¼-20 all-thread. Notch the radio surround trim. Trim a bit at the bottom to clear the new bracket. Add a Ram Mount B-size ball to the top. And Ta Da!!

The phone one has a cord routed through the dash and out through the slot behind the all-thread. GPS isn’t used often enough to get a permanent mounted cable.

If you wanted to add a third ball, it wouldn’t be too hard to extend the all-thread a little higher. Add a piece of 3/8” or ½” square steel tube between them. Add a third ball in the middle. Maybe when I get my GRS radio. Or when the wife decides she needs a place for her phone.
IMG_3352c.jpg
IMG_3353c.jpg
IMG_3357c.jpg
IMG_3358c.jpg
IMG_3356c.jpg
IMG_3359c.jpg
IMG_3361c.jpg
IMG_3362c.jpgIMG_3363c.jpg

IMG_3352c.jpgIMG_3353c.jpgIMG_3357c.jpgIMG_3358c.jpgIMG_3355c.jpgIMG_3356c.jpgIMG_3359c.jpgIMG_3361c.jpgIMG_3362c.jpgIMG_3363c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman