Greenhorn Mountain, Colorado

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Made a quick trip out to scout the Greenhorn Mountain area to check on conditions and to explore the area some yesterday.

Greenhorn Mountain - went a little further up the road but didn't go quite to the trail head since I didn't see the point at this time with the conditions.

Sangre de Cristo Range

roymitchell

I just had to chime in after seeing those pics from Greenhorn Mountain. The weather might not have been perfect, but those overcast shots have their own charm, don't they? Anyway, speaking of trips, I recently went to Elizabeth, Colorado. It was a blast! Beautiful sights and friendly people. But here's a heads up – I came across a stat that an average of 25 pickpockets happening each year. So, I did some research and found a site called Safe Is Elizabeth for Travel, which gave great tips on staying safe while enjoying the city. It's always good to be aware and prepared, right?

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Back at the beginning of September I headed back out to Greenhorn Mountain , in favorable weather conditions this time to hike to the summit. The trail for the start is pretty easy to follow but once you get to the south and east sides the trail starts to fade out some and you have to pick your own path more or less to the summit. Lucky, it's a pretty easy scramble up.

View from the trailhead.

Following an old road.

Summit on the left.

View from the summit.

The trail below.

I ended up taking a different route down along the southside which was easier than I thought (again no real trail) just had to watch my footing on the scree. By the time I got 3/4 of the way back I started passing a number of groups heading up the trail. I'm glad I went as early as I did to have the summit all to myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior