GWNF in January

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
This is how it all starts Jimmy and I, having our usual discussions about everything and nothing at all when..

Jimmy- We need to take a trip and deploy all of our stuff and test it out.
Endo- Yeah. When?
Jimmy - I dont care as soon as the holidays are over I am going.
Endo- Sounds good then, Where?
Jimmy- I dont care but I am going. I AM READY!

He would come to regret those words.

We set out to George Washington national forest after much debate over our original destination. We had planned a trip to West Virginia in the Canaan valley but days of snow and cold had made us re think our destination.
It was decided that since I had been to GWNF outside of Harrisonburg Va on several trips we would head there so at least one of us knew the area.

So,
Jimmy in his XJ with Trailer in tow and James his son riding shotgun,
Scott in his 4runner which until this trip was largely un-tested off-road after a straight axle swap. And me (Endo) in my new to me 2000 trooper that I had also just lifted and had not really used off -road set off for the western part of Va for what the weather man was saying was going to be a cold and snowy weekend in the hills.

Jimmy and I have spent alot of time and effort getting our trailers built up and ready for overland travel. Roof tents, Lids, Water cans, Fuel cans etc... the list goes on and on. We were sure that we would have no issues with them for a self supported trip. But we both have trips planned for later in the year and wanted to make sure. We loaded the trailers with everything we would need (and some things we did not)

We are to meet at Jimmy's house at 6:00 pm for muster and head out. On the way we plan to stop for provisions and dinner. I arrive at 5:30 and Jimmy is pacing back and forth muttering about Scott not being there yet. A quick call determines that he is on his way but will be about 15 minutes late. We hang out and wait for Scott.

6:30 we roll out. Our trip will take us out 64 west through Charlottesville and then on to 81 north to Harrisonburg. From there it is state route 33 until we get to the place.

Travel to C-ville was un-eventful with everyone gabbing on the radios and having a good. Into the Giant supermarket for food and provisions and Quiz nos for dinner. As we get back on the road and laugh at James for every reason we can think of all is good in the world. Coming into Harrisonburg I begin to wonder about our sanity as we see that there has been a snow event in the past few days but we press on after a stop for gas.
IMG_0117.JPG

We arrive at the turn off about 10:30 greeted with ice snow on the forest service road.
Skidmoreforkmap-full;init:.jpg

Slowly moving down the road past the lake We arrive at camp. Happy and tired but there as hasty camp setup and a roaring fire ensued and off to bed by 2:00 am.

The rest of the story tommorow... but for now pictures.

IMG_0119.JPG

expo1.jpg

expo2.jpg

expo3.jpg

expo4.jpg

expo5.jpg

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Love winter camping shots.

Happen to have any pics how the Kelty was attached to the RTT's? (i missed the costco buy)

jim65wagon

Very nice, I haven't been out there since last spring. Hard to tell from the pics, where did you camp? Did you go all the way to Flagpole Knob or Meadow Knob? Beautiful work on the trailers.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I agree. The trailers look great. I like the Kelty protection you guys have off the front. Nice set up.

I am hoping we get snowed on when I go hunting next month. If not, I'm going to look for chance to do some snow camp somewhere in the mountains around Tucson in March if there is good snow available.

rctr03

Adventurer
we camped on the way up to flag pole.
the carport attached to with straps below the rain fly.
that is where clint attached his, mine blew off at 2am because i did not attach mine at the top only with tent pegs in the snow. there was 5 inches in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan