HAM questions: ARES/RACES and clubs that cater to our "lifestyle?"

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm finally getting enough time to start getting serious about the amateur radio equipment I bought back in August, and am hoping to get my 2m unit installed this weekend (knock wood!)

I do have a couple of questions for those who might know (and especially those in the Denver area.)

First off, I'm interested in getting involved in some emergency services. I am familiar with the terms ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) and RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) but what is the difference between the two? And how does one get involved? I've seen some web sites for the various ARES and RACES organizations but I'd like to hear from some folks out here about their experiences and which ones would be better to get involved in.

Second question, are there clubs out there that cater more to ExPo - type communications? IOW, I'm not really that interested in the extremely technical stuff like building my own equipment or seeing if I can bounce a signal off the moon, I just want to be able to reach out and communicate when I'm 200 miles from BFE and I need to know how to set up and troubleshoot my own equipment.

Not that I have anything against those who are really into radio stuff, it's just that hobby-wise, my plate is kind of full right now and I just don't have room for another one. But I do need to set up my radios and, as said above, I would like to get involved in some kind of local volunteer/emergency organizations, too.

Trying to read the owners manuals for my new radios is like trying to read sanskrit (like a lot of technical manuals, they seem to be written with the assumption that the owner already knows much of the terminology and techniques.)

Thanks in advance...

gary in ohio

Explorer
ARES and RACES are sometimes interchanged but are different groups. Both provide emergency communications, but races is affiliated FEMA/local EC and ARES is affiliated with ARRL. Depending on where you live you will find ARES is more active or RACES is more active. Sometimes there is overlap, sometimes there is not.
In ohio you will find ARES is dominant and RACES is few and far between. In California RACES is more common. Ill speed specific to ARES since I am most familiar (I am our county EC).

There are two sides to ARES, one is the emergency communications group. Working with local emergency coordinators to provide emergency communications in times of need. The second side is the community service group providing communications for various events(specifically ones that cover large areas). There are Few orgainized runs, jogs, bike races/rides, triathlons or marathons in the state that doesn't have ARES comms.

Expos's are more of a hobby so I doubt you will find a ares group sepcific to that, but you may find they help out with 4x4 and trail rides.

Expedition Leader
ARES/RACES are administered county by county here in Texas; not sure about Colorado but would suspect that it is the same there. Some (in large populous counties) are very well organized and administered. Some in less-populous counties are smaller groups, less organized, less formal, and the two organizations are indistinguishable because the members of both are exactly the same (my county ARES/RACES falls into this category). Most all of them have training nets on 2M once a month where visitors and interested licensed operators can check in. Find out which repeater(s) your county uses, listen in for a while, then start checking in so that they get to know you a little. To participate in an actual emergency net (even if it's just thunderstorm spotting), you will have to be an official member. The rules for actual membership may vary from county to county and organization, but most will have an application to fill out with your license, license class, contact information, and what radios you have (and bands that you can operate on). Most will have a stipulation that you must live (or at least work in) the county that you are applying for. Also, storm spotting is the most common activity that many ARES/RACES groups do, so you could go ahead and take the Skywarn classes when they are available and get those certifications ahead of time. Not all counties actually require you get the certs. but they're worth attending anyway.

In my county, 99% of the activity is storm spotting/weather reporting, but we were called up and mobilized earlier this year to help with radio commo. during the big wild fires in a neighboring county, when the local fire departments were stretched thin.

I also recommend the 4x4ham.com forum. I belong over there, and they are a very knowledgeable and helpful group. Their founding core group is in Arizona, but they are quickly growing to all states and several countries. I have met several of them in person and/or talked to them on the radio, and have not met a bad one yet.

rambrush

Adventurer
As you probably/possibly are aware 2m won't cover any better than a cell phone in some canyons and remote areas due to repeater coverages. But I have seen some amazing bounce shots from repeaters that you would never have thought you could hit.
I visit over at 4x4 ham as a lurking visitor and it does offer up some good info.

Tennmogger

Explorer
Martin,

You are in a great place to get involved in ARES. The Arapahoe County ARES District has been an active organization for many years. http://www.arapahoeares.org/

District 22 gets involved with emergency communications with the SO and fire organizations, and does public service comms for organizations like American Red Cross, Salvation Army, National MS Assoc, etc. You can often use your vehicle to be dispatched to some out of the way place to set up and relay observations, information and assist with emergencies. When tornadoes, floods, or other disasters happen, or are expected to happen, the ARES often assists the Sheriff's Office to keep comms going. I lived in Littleton for 20 years and served as Emergency Coordinator for ARES District 22, then EC for the CO Front Range, then as SEC for Colorado.

You would really enjoy the EOSS organization, too, Edge of Space Sciences, a ham based group who launch high altitude balloons, and retrieve them. That's about as close to an ExPo adventure as you can get, chasing a balloon across CO, or KS or NE! Many times the difference between hiking many miles or driving in comfort, is the vehicle you are in.

Bob WB4ETT

Prybry

Adventurer
I'm finally getting enough time to start getting serious about the amateur radio equipment I bought back in August, and am hoping to get my 2m unit installed this weekend (knock wood!)

I do have a couple of questions for those who might know (and especially those in the Denver area.)

First off, I'm interested in getting involved in some emergency services. I am familiar with the terms ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) and RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) but what is the difference between the two? And how does one get involved? I've seen some web sites for the various ARES and RACES organizations but I'd like to hear from some folks out here about their experiences and which ones would be better to get involved in.

Second question, are there clubs out there that cater more to ExPo - type communications? IOW, I'm not really that interested in the extremely technical stuff like building my own equipment or seeing if I can bounce a signal off the moon, I just want to be able to reach out and communicate when I'm 200 miles from BFE and I need to know how to set up and troubleshoot my own equipment.

Not that I have anything against those who are really into radio stuff, it's just that hobby-wise, my plate is kind of full right now and I just don't have room for another one. But I do need to set up my radios and, as said above, I would like to get involved in some kind of local volunteer/emergency organizations, too.

Trying to read the owners manuals for my new radios is like trying to read sanskrit (like a lot of technical manuals, they seem to be written with the assumption that the owner already knows much of the terminology and techniques.)

Thanks in advance...

Martin,
I would suggest you start with your local amateur radio club, you should be able to find one by visiting the www.arrl.org web site.... you should be able to make contact with ARES members at the first meeting you attend.

Just a quick note... ARES has a much wider offering of volunteer events such as supporting local SKYWARN weather spotting activies, or working communications for public events such as bike marathons... in addition to supporting emergency communications during disasters. RACES is different, as it is only activated during the disaster for specific emergency communications.

Find a club.... they will be happy to help get you involved from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998