Harbor Freight Trailer?

computeruser

Explorer
Having owned the second one (albeit from another source) and having had good results in road use as a utility trailer, I still think that you're throwing good money after bad buying the HF trailers and then swapping axles, etc. By the time you swap an axle and add some decking, you're into the price range of a solid angle-iron 4x8' trailer with a 3500lb axle, which would be a far more sturdy trailer to start with.

M

MuddyOval

i had the second one as well. I used that thing for years, carrying a Honda Odyssey (before the van, they were cool ATV's).
You'd need to have it welded, as it's all bolted together. It'll stand up to road use, but off highway use would twist it a bit and things will shake loose. It has cheap lights and the hinge function makes it weak- I built mine without the folding function to make it more sturdy.
I think you could spend the same money at a fab shop and end up with a nicer frame- which is all you'd be actually able to use from this kit.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've spoken with the owner of Little Giant and know that he takes those things off-road to camp and hunt elk.
I'm not sure that it's something to build a pseudo-Chaser on though.

Like the others said, you can go to a trailer fabricator and build a frame from 2"3" steel, put a 3500# axle on it, a Max Coupler, and begin your build with a stout foundation.

And it's all relative to the abuse you'll be giving it too. No need for an elephant gun if you'll just be shooting deer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan