Hard shell RTT with ladder on rear

dman93

Adventurer
I'm looking at a used JB Discovery Space tent. Well, I'm planning to go look at it, have only seen pictures so far. Anyway, I'd be mounting this on a shell on a DCSB Tacoma, 60" bed/shell. Assuming I center it on the shell or bias it slightly forward of center, the rear door will require setting up the ladder at the back and preventing access to the tent if the tailgate is down or even rear window is up, or vice-versa. First, is that assumption correct, and if so is this a big problem? I borrowed a Tepui once, with side ladder, and there seemed a lot of scenarios where one person was cooking on the tailgate or accessing the bed, while the other person wanted to access the tent. Opinions? In general, I haven't seen a lot of pictures of hard shells on short-short Tacomas.

Thanks - dman93

Maxcustody

Explorer
With the JB's the ladder can be positioned on either side, it quickly attaches and detaches. Why would you have to use the rear, not understanding your reasoning for this? The ladder can be placed anywhere when not in use and is not a permanent attachment like the tepui..........

Scott

dman93

Adventurer
I was "assuming" ... as it turns out, incorrectly ... that one can only access the tent from the rear. So while I knew the ladder can be placed anywhere when not in use, it thought could only be used at the rear, thus precluding access to the tent and the truck bed at the same time. However I now see from some further research that this tent has side access as well. It was just less clear from photos of the space version, than photos I've seen of other JB tent models. That said, if there are any owners out there with a hard shell on a short-short Taco or Hilux, I'd love to see links or pictures.

With the JB's the ladder can be positioned on either side, it quickly attaches and detaches. Why would you have to use the rear, not understanding your reasoning for this? The ladder can be placed anywhere when not in use and is not a permanent attachment like the tepui..........

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78