Hard sided adventure camper recommendations

SquatchGX

I am fairly new to the camper world, main experience is backpacking in the northern Rockies. Since I know have a family I am looking for a small hard sided camper. My wife's must have features are water heater, heater, onboard water, cassette toilet, stove, refrigerator, and some Windows. Other than galley and heater type no real electronics. I would say our budget can't go much higher than $30K with all options. For the off-road ability I am looking for roughly washboard rutted forest service roads (mainly boondocking type national forests etc). So far the best option I have found is the VMI Canyon. I am also looking at the cricket, though not sure about off road capability. Both offer standing room for me as I am 6'2". Farther down the list is something like the SoCal krawler or 5x10, but those are not ideal for our case. Any other recommendations? And since I am fairly new to this, any recommendations on virtually necessary upgrades for my intended purpose? Considering solar but would that be necessary for fridge and basic electrical draw?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You might consider some of the toy haulars out there. They can be built more robust since they can carry weight. We looked at the Wolf Pup 17. With the ability to lower the rear door, screen in the back and leave it open like that you have a great open space. Final thing I will say is that if you are doing a fridge go ahead and do the solar. Makes life so much easier.

Roc8man

I concur with the Toy Hauler recommendation. I've been hauling a 25' pull behind (not 5th wheel) toy hauler for the last 8 years off road into some amazing places that I was concerned about just getting my crew cab truck through. What ever you decide, make sure you have enough vehicle to move it safely as my Yukon XL couldn't tow it faster than 40 mph floored up the Eisenhower tunnel pass (11k+ feet) so I bought a 3/4 ton diesel truck and it moves it easily when fully loaded. I had the axles moved to under the springs and that created a ton of body clearance. This isn't for rock crawling like one would do with those little bitty trailers behind Jeeps but it can go through much more than just washboard roads. Shorter lengths are better for maneuverability over and around obstacles. Also, when finding a toy hauler, make sure it has a good fully boxed frame and not the "c" shaped open frames on "light" trailers. They will give over time when taking it off road.

Good luck

SquatchGX

Thank you for the response, I will add some of those to compare. Want to stay towards the smaller end as I have a GX470 and don't really want to look at trading that right now for a truck.

Tazman

Adventurer
It is disappointing to have such few choices in this trailer space. We shopped for years to find something that would not be destroyed with how we were planning to use it. I loved the comfort of the Airstream but it would leak like hell in a year or two. Also, we did not want to replace the tow vehicle. That would be a deal breaker and I love my 1/2 ton GMC. We had a higher budget to work with so we bought an Australian Kimberley. I would love to have bought American but nothing met our needs.

zimm17

Observer
Look into the fiberglass shell campers like Scamp (Wisconsin), Casita (Texas), and Escape (B.C.). They're built more like a boat and the cabinets are fiberglass shells, so not particle board and staples. Weight is low. Possibly upgrade the axle and tires (Casita sells an "off road" option). I'd so get one but I don't like the bunk options for my two kids.

They're only sold factory direct and have quite a backlog. Escape is mid 2017 for a new one, Scamp is 8 month wait, Casita is 2-3 months (I toured their facility last month). They're about $20k for a 17' fully loaded.

More info:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I just picked up an AR-One Extreme. Its an 18ft trailer with a lift and skid plates. solar ready, 30" tires, weighs 3200lbs. So far i like it. Made by StarCraft which is Owned By Jayco.

TwinStick

Explorer
We also have a 2016 AR One Extreme. It is not very "Extreme" IMHO but we are happy with it. It is NOT an off-road trailer IMHO, but with the ground clearance it has, it will allow us to get "off the beaten path" for sure, as long as you go slow, which is all we wanted. I reinforced the seating in the dinette & the bed (they are made cheap) but For $14,500, you get 15" rims, 29" tires, 5" lift, small 2 way fridge, radiused queen short bed, microwave, 2 burner stove, a/c, propane, toilet, shower, 26 gal fresh water, fully enclosed & insulated underbelly (NOT a skid plate on mine-sorry) maybe yours was added by previous owner, LED interrior lights, ect... We pull it with a 2008 Dodge PW Hemi w/G-56 manual trans. & truck don't even know it is back there. If i get tired of it in a few years & sell it or trade it in, no big deal @ $14-15k.

We ordered ours with the "Canadian spec" 13,500 btu roof a/c---rather than the 8000 btu side mount a/c unit (known to leak into the wall). It works great & cools it down quick on hot days. Tows like a dream (we were able to re-use our weight distributing hitch w/dual cam sway bars--rated to 12,000 lbs, from the 30' toyhauler we traded in on this. Yup, we downsized, which is unusual---according to the RV people. Again---this is NOT an off-road camper IMHO. It will fit the bill for many people though. The mattress sucks, plan on a new one, LOL.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
We also have a 2016 AR One Extreme. It is not very "Extreme" IMHO but we are happy with it. It is NOT an off-road trailer IMHO, but with the ground clearance it has, it will allow us to get "off the beaten path" for sure, as long as you go slow, which is all we wanted. I reinforced the seating in the dinette & the bed (they are made cheap) but For $14,500, you get 15" rims, 29" tires, 5" lift, small 2 way fridge, radiused queen short bed, microwave, 2 burner stove, a/c, propane, toilet, shower, 26 gal fresh water, fully enclosed & insulated underbelly (NOT a skid plate on mine-sorry) maybe yours was added by previous owner, LED interrior lights, ect... We pull it with a 2008 Dodge PW Hemi w/G-56 manual trans. & truck don't even know it is back there. If i get tired of it in a few years & sell it or trade it in, no big deal @ $14-15k.

We ordered ours with the "Canadian spec" 13,500 btu roof a/c---rather than the 8000 btu side mount a/c unit (known to leak into the wall). It works great & cools it down quick on hot days. Tows like a dream (we were able to re-use our weight distributing hitch w/dual cam sway bars--rated to 12,000 lbs, from the 30' toyhauler we traded in on this. Yup, we downsized, which is unusual---according to the RV people. Again---this is NOT an off-road camper IMHO. It will fit the bill for many people though. The mattress sucks, plan on a new one, LOL.

What kind of mileage do you get with that power wagon? i didnt know the PW came with a G56. i thought they all cam with an auto. I have been considering trading my 6.7 in on a PW now that i have 2 diesels.

armymgdude

Observer
My vote is for fiberglass as one like the Casita we have will do everything you want. We drag ours to ridiculous places.
6bb0ab625bb1202292fdbf7a192ef105.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SquatchGX

Thanks, I need to look into the fiberglass ones a bit more. Really like the VMI but if I could find a fiberglass significantly cheaper that could sway me. Are casitas, scamp, and escape best options in small fiberglass?

armymgdude

Observer
Thanks, I need to look into the fiberglass ones a bit more. Really like the VMI but if I could find a fiberglass significantly cheaper that could sway me. Are casitas, scamp, and escape best options in small fiberglass?
While I am biased because I have a Casita, there are many more options for Casitas for bolt on stuff that will help the trailer offroad. I have the factory hilift axle with a 3 inch aftermarket lift kit and aftermarket shocks. I run LT235 75r15 tires and have plenty of clearance. I easily had as much ground clearance as my mildly lifted 1/2 ton. Plus it is the exact same width as a full size truck, so if the truck fit, the trailer fit.

TwinStick

Explorer
What kind of mileage do you get with that power wagon? i didnt know the PW came with a G56. i thought they all cam with an auto. I have been considering trading my 6.7 in on a PW now that i have 2 diesels.

Lololololololololololololol !!! I get 8-10 mpg all the time. Towing, empty, light right foot or not. G-56 was avail in 07' & 08' model years. 2005/6 was the NV 5600 (i think). We LOVE our Power Wagon. Mine has the 5.7L Hemi & 345 hp. But with the G-56 & 4.56 axle gears, it is geared like a tractor. Camper only weighs 3500 lbs.

G-56 1st gear: 6.29:1----2nd: 3.48:1----3rd: 2.10:1----4th: 1.38:1----5th: 1.0:1---6th: 0.79:1----Rev: 6.29:1

545RFE--------3.0------------1.67-----------1.0------------0,75-----------0.67-----------------------3.0

Last edited:

armymgdude

Observer
Lololololololololololololol !!! I get 8-10 mpg all the time. Towing, empty, light right foot or not. G-56 was avail in 07' & 08' model years. 2005/6 was the NV 5600 (i think). We LOVE our Power Wagon. Mine has the 5.7L Hemi & 345 hp. But with the G-56 & 4.56 axle gears, it is geared like a tractor. Camper only weighs 3500 lbs.

G-56 1st gear: 6.29:1----2nd: 3.48:1----3rd: 2.10:1----4th: 1.38:1----5th: 1.0:1---6th: 0.79:1----Rev: 6.29:1

545RFE--------3.0------------1.67-----------1.0------------0,75-----------0.67-----------------------3.0
Wow. I get 14+ on the freeway in my 07 PW. I have the 5spd auto. I get 12 towing the Casita.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan