Has Anyone Mounted A Flex Solar Panel to Rooftop Cargo Box?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Honey, I shrunk the kids, errr rather the camper van…

We’re downsizing from our FSC Tiger to a small camper van. There’s not a ton of room inside the van for gear so putting a rocket box on the roof seems like a good idea.

But the box will mostly block the single solar panel already glued to the roof.

My solution?

Get a flex solar panel (if i can find one small enough) and glue it to the top of the cargo box.

But to do so successfully , I would need to install some kind of an easy/quick release plug to disconnect the wiring from the solar panel to the storage battery when I store the cargo box in between trips.

IIRC, some folks have glued panels to their rig’s hoods.

Have any of y’all installed an unplugable solar panel to an RTT or roof top cargo box?

Can you share your Ideas? Advice? with me pls? Or reliable source of a skinny panel?

Thx mucho.

REF

Sale going on now with some of their panels. I have been using their 100W suitcase panel as an auxiliary to my fixed roof panels, I plug it into a side port I installed that connects through my on board solar controller. Don’t have experience with any flex panels, typically not as durable, you could also try one of the portable setups, fold flat and don’t take up much space.
Port connector…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx for your helpful links guys.

I might have to go the solar briefcase route…plus=allows movement to sunny spot when parked in the shade; minus = no charging when parked at trailheads, stores, museums, visitor centers etc

I did find a 22”x48” flex panel that I might be able to glue to cargo box roof with some styro (?) shims to fill gaps in depressions in the box lid 🤔

plh

Explorer
Honey, I shrunk the kids, errr rather the camper van…

We’re downsizing from our FSC Tiger to a small camper van. There’s not a ton of room inside the van for gear so putting a rocket box on the roof seems like a good idea.

But the box will mostly block the single solar panel already glued to the roof.

My solution?

Get a flex solar panel (if i can find one small enough) and glue it to the top of the cargo box.

But to do so successfully , I would need to install some kind of an easy/quick release plug to disconnect the wiring from the solar panel to the storage battery when I store the cargo box in between trips.

IIRC, some folks have glued panels to their rig’s hoods.

Have any of y’all installed an unplugable solar panel to an RTT or roof top cargo box?

Can you share your Ideas? Advice? with me pls? Or reliable source of a skinny panel?

Thx mucho.
These guys use the flexies on rocket boxes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior