Hatchet, or machete?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Still compiling a list for my bug out bag...

I'm thinking of weight savings, and whether I should pack a machete or a small hatchet in there?

I will likely be packing a small folding saw of some sort, so I'm wondering which would compliment the saw the best?

I'm VERY comfortable using an axe, but have no experience with a machete.
(That might make the decision for me...)

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
OK, I have a question about a hatchet.

What do you use it for? Seems a small folding saw would be more useful. I have a very nice little hatchet, but I can never figure out what to do with it....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
OK, I have a question about a hatchet.

What do you use it for? Seems a small folding saw would be more useful. I have a very nice little hatchet, but I can never figure out what to do with it....

Well you grab the oval long bit that's attached to the heavy wedge shaped piece. That oval piece is called a "handle". That heavy wedged shaped piece is called the "head", it has two sides you use. One is flat and you use it to pound things. Things like stakes, nails, rocks or if you're not careful your fingers or your forehead. The other end tapers to an "edge" and if it's sharp it will split kindling and cut things like sticks, branches or if your not careful your fingers or your forehead. I hope this helps, but since you've not seemed to grasp the concept yet you might just want to stick to using a rock or maybe a tamed beaver.:elkgrin:

lalocotequinta

Well you grab the oval long bit that's attached to the heavy wedge shaped piece. That oval piece is called a "handle". That heavy wedged shaped piece is called the "head", it has two sides you use. One is flat and you use it to pound things. Things like stakes, nails, rocks or if you're not careful your fingers or your forehead. The other end tapers to an "edge" and if it's sharp it will split kindling and cut things like sticks, branches or if your not careful your fingers or your forehead. I hope this helps, but since you've not seemed to grasp the concept yet you might just want to stick to using a rock or maybe a tamed beaver.:elkgrin:

Genial!!

Oh, you forgot to mention toes, just in case the sharp wedged part is used to split wood for kindeling.:elkgrin:

JackW

Explorer
Hatchet = large nicks in shins

I prefer a machete myself - you can use it for all sorts of useful things and when clearing overhanging limbs and brush you can stand a little farther away.
Easy to hit yourself on the leg so be careful...

My dad grew up in the Panama Canal Zone and I can't remember a time when there wasn't a machete in the house. I grew up using one and worked as a surveyor for a few years so I've had lots of practice.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
http://www.woodmanspal.com/

I've got one and it takes the place of both. 1 of the most valuable tools I bring with me when I go into the bush.

I have been wondering about these for years...good to hear from someone who actually uses it.
Thanks

Oh and on the topic I am way infavor over machete over hachet...you can baton the wood for kindling much safer with a machete.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer

LOL....that helps.....helps a lot!

(anyone know where I can find a beaver?):sombrero:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think you get more universal uses from a hatchet, especially in most of the US. Hammer, stripper, splitter, chopper, bone cutter, etc.

Now if I was traveling down south toward the equator, my answer might be different.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
This is what I carry...I have the Gerber Axe's too and carry one when rafting, but for hiking and backcountry travel I carry the brush knife:

22-41061_Gerber_Brush_Thinner_Machete_with_Sheath.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears