Heaters, Why not Webasto

CampStewart

Observer
I have read a number of threads regarding heaters and overwhelmingly most seem to be going with Propex propane units. I have used a big buddy for 15 years without incident and I have no fear of that unit, or propane, or gasoline for that matter. I would like to move up to drier air that could be used in the camper or easily moved to heat the inside of a van for overnight heat. The Airtop 2000 looks to me like it would be a good candidate. they seem to come up fairly frequently on craigslist at what I consider very reasonable prices. I have read very little about people actually using the gas powered heaters, their idiosyncrasies how much noise they make, how they are typically mounted, and whatever else I should know before buying one. My ideal plan would be to mount it similar to the "toolbox" mount commonly seen with the Propex

Red90

Adventurer
They are used a lot in trucks and boats. They are quiet. The thing you have to watch is placement of the pump to avoid hearing it and make sure you get the muffler.

john61ct

Adventurer
Beware cheap knockoffs, or take advantage of their cheap, but be aware.

Plumb the fuel feed so you can't strand yourself.

And likely need to beef up your electric system.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not sure about the later Airtop 2000 model but the one we had in our then 2009 KK didn't work well at all above about 6,000'. Great at or near sea level though.

jdzl

Just installed two Airtop 2000 STC petrol/gas heaters in VW Vanagons this past month. Let me know if any questions.

Have also installed an Espar D2 diesel heater. It's basically identical to the Airtop both in build and installation.

There are a few different "fixes" for high altitude burning, depending on make/model. The Airtop can be reconfigured on the fly to lean up the fuel mix at higher elevation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman