Heavy Duty Shirts

ol' scott

Adventurer
Hey, just wondering if anybody has a good source for strong, well made flannel shirts. I don't necessarily want a shirt that will stand up on it's own but a decently thick flannel shirt. I picked one up from the Goodwill a few years ago from Woolrich, just not sure if they make the same quality of clothing now that they made whenever this shirt was made.

Last edited:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
If you want flannel for warmth, consider Filson's wool Jac-Shirt. It's as warm as they come.

Ditto on the Carhartt. I have a green plaid one that works great.

ol' scott

Adventurer
Maybe somebody can clear this up for me. In my experiences with Carhart I have not been impressed. Are there two different qualities of Carhart? The stuff I have was bought from Academy and the shirt really didn't impress me and the pants are a joke. I'm hoping they make higher quality stuff that is sold at other stores.

lamontagne

Adventurer
I love Carhartt.....

But.....

Thier quality control SUCKS! Most of their line is made in Mex and I find it absolutely amazing that I can pick 2 shirts off the same rack, of the same size, and find them to be different in some regard. For example, I have 2 shirts in my closet right now, one is an XLT and the LT and held next to each other they are identical in cut. I usually have to buy the Tall version of thier shirts because they shrink so much in the length.
Pants are same way. I have 36's 38's and a 40 and they are all the exact same physical size.

Despite this, I still come back to Carhartt for tough clothes.

Have you checked our Wranglers line of work shirts? They are hell for stout too.

jimed43

Adventurer
Woolrich is still good. Also Orvis, L.L. Bean and some from Bass Pro Shop.

I have all these, the Bass Pro stuff is very good for the money. I still have my Woolrich Wool Shirt Jac, which is the red and black, it is tough as nails, not sure if they make it anymore.

I also noticed at the Scout Shop here, they had the heavy duty red wool shirts, that I wore as a kid.

S

Squatchout

For HD clothes it's hard to beat buying from this place. "Wearguard"
http://www.aramark-uniform.com/q0/shop-aramark.html?gclid=CM-59-yYgKcCFUmo4Aodl31nfw

They sell uniform clothing for industry. The prices are usually quite good and I've had great luck with their clothes over the years. I have several of their "carhart" style flannel lined canvas shirts and they wear like iron and are very warm. I've used their stuff for work for years and it seems to repel stains and such well. I think most of the stuff is treated for that.
No affiliation just a happy customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears