Heavy Duty Wheels

Garet

We own a Provan Tiger on a 2008 Chevy chassis with 17" rims. This vehicle is at GVW, with 6,000 lb on the rear axle and 4,000 lb on the front. We've had 3 tread delaminations on our current set of Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 with about 20k on them. Thankfully, none of the treads completely separated - we noticed the vibration and were not too far from a tire shop. Nitto has replaced each tire in sequence, but declined to replace the other 2 pre-emptively (we have 5 and rotate the spare through). We no longer have confidence in these tires and are looking for other options.

We previously had a tread separation at highway speed on our older Tiger (different tires, but still within weight rating) and know 5 other owners of similar vehicles who have experienced tire failure (different brands). I've come to the conclusion that tires in general perform poorly on vehicles running 100% of the time near the tire weight limit. Perhaps tire weight rating isn't so much of an issue for someone who vacations a few times a year in a slide-in camper, sometimes pulls a 5th wheel or gets the occasional load of gravel for landscaping. But tires that are heavily loaded full-time really take a beating.

We frequently travel in remote places, so I'd like to get the highest weight rating possible for our next set. Unfortunately, I've come to realize that 17" is the 'bastard child' in the tire world. There are quite a few of options for heavier weight ratings in 16" & even more options for 18", but I don't find 17" tires with a weight rating higher than 121.

Options I've identified...

1) Stick with our 17" OEM rims and get a set of Bridgestone Duravis M700 in 265/75/17. These factory-original tires went 40k miles with no problems. Familiarity leads to comfort.

2) Get a set of Alcoa forged 16" rims. This would allow 123 rated tires in factory-original width/diameter. I've heard nothing but good about these rims, but unfortunately they're not availble in 18". This seems like a heafty investment for a small increase in load rating.

3) Look for 18" rims, which would open up options for tires with even higher weight ratings (126 or possibly higher). I did the Norcal Nick fender modification when going to the 285/70/17 tires, so slightly larger/wider tires are an option. Unfortunately since Chevy changed the bolt pattern, fitting 18" OEM rims onto our 2008 chassis is not an option. My impression is that most after-market rims are made for looks more than durability. I'm aware of horror stories of after-market rims cracking (even though they're theoretically within their weight rating) so I'm quite leary of going this route. But I've recently become aware of Method 305 NV HD and 701 HD rims with 4,500 lb weight ratings. I'm still looking into issues of width/backspacing and which tire sizes (... and thus weight ratings) would work.

4) To keep discussion from going somewhere that it doesn't need to, I'm not interested in going to 19.5" rims.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has used Method HD rims on a similarly-heavy vehicle. Any insight into back-spacing and tire width would also be helpful. I'd rather not have a wider tire, except in order to get more durability.

chet6.7

Explorer
I am about 9,500lbs,not really heavy,no problems with the Method 305 NV HD 18.
CJC has some special wheel in a 17.

Robert Bills

Explorer
What does your rig actually weigh when fully loaded? Front axle? Rear? Total? There should be a public scale near you.

The numbers will assist in addressing your concerns.

Darwin

Explorer
Are those total weights? The tires should be able to handle that load, it's only 3000 lbs per tire but probably doesn't leave you much room.

Some possible options. 1st stick to tires with a 3 ply sidewall, I don't think the Nittos have that. I know the new Yokohama x at is 3 ply if you want to stick with ats.

I have the methods in 18x9 with the 4,500 lb capacity, they do come with a lifetime warranty so I suggest purchasing these from discount tire to make warranty issues easy if it ever becomes a problem.

I run a 37x12.5x18 tire with no lift the tires are rated for 4000 lbs at 65 psi.

If you want the strongest tire in a 17" your only real option is the 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT at 4,300 lbs at 65 psi.

stepping up to an 18" opens up the possibility of running a 285/75/18 rated for 4000 lbs at 80 psi.

prior I had good luck with 295/70/18 Coooper Stmaxx tires rated at 4000 lbs at 80 psi I had a 3,300 load on the back the life of the tires for 50K including aired down on bad Baja gravel roads.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We own a Provan Tiger on a 2008 Chevy chassis with 17" rims. This vehicle is at GVW, with 6,000 lb on the rear axle and 4,000 lb on the front. We've had 3 tread delaminations on our current set of Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 with about 20k on them. Thankfully, none of the treads completely separated - we noticed the vibration and were not too far from a tire shop. Nitto has replaced each tire in sequence, but declined to replace the other 2 pre-emptively (we have 5 and rotate the spare through). We no longer have confidence in these tires and are looking for other options.

We previously had a tread separation at highway speed on our older Tiger (different tires, but still within weight rating) and know 5 other owners of similar vehicles who have experienced tire failure (different brands). I've come to the conclusion that tires in general perform poorly on vehicles running 100% of the time near the tire weight limit. Perhaps tire weight rating isn't so much of an issue for someone who vacations a few times a year in a slide-in camper, sometimes pulls a 5th wheel or gets the occasional load of gravel for landscaping. But tires that are heavily loaded full-time really take a beating.

We frequently travel in remote places, so I'd like to get the highest weight rating possible for our next set. Unfortunately, I've come to realize that 17" is the 'bastard child' in the tire world. There are quite a few of options for heavier weight ratings in 16" & even more options for 18", but I don't find 17" tires with a weight rating higher than 121.

Options I've identified...

1) Stick with our 17" OEM rims and get a set of Bridgestone Duravis M700 in 265/75/17. These factory-original tires went 40k miles with no problems. Familiarity leads to comfort.

2) Get a set of Alcoa forged 16" rims. This would allow 123 rated tires in factory-original width/diameter. I've heard nothing but good about these rims, but unfortunately they're not availble in 18". This seems like a heafty investment for a small increase in load rating.

3) Look for 18" rims, which would open up options for tires with even higher weight ratings (126 or possibly higher). I did the Norcal Nick fender modification when going to the 285/70/17 tires, so slightly larger/wider tires are an option. Unfortunately since Chevy changed the bolt pattern, fitting 18" OEM rims onto our 2008 chassis is not an option. My impression is that most after-market rims are made for looks more than durability. I'm aware of horror stories of after-market rims cracking (even though they're theoretically within their weight rating) so I'm quite leary of going this route. But I've recently become aware of Method 305 NV HD and 701 HD rims with 4,500 lb weight ratings. I'm still looking into issues of width/backspacing and which tire sizes (... and thus weight ratings) would work.

4) To keep discussion from going somewhere that it doesn't need to, I'm not interested in going to 19.5" rims.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has used Method HD rims on a similarly-heavy vehicle. Any insight into back-spacing and tire width would also be helpful. I'd rather not have a wider tire, except in order to get more durability.
Method sell two models of HD rims in an 18. They are 4500# rated and come in black or bronzed The Nitto Terra Grapplers are a 2-ply sidewall version of Toyo AT2's. I don't know if they offer one in an applicable size for your truck. https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/street-wheels/products/305-nv-hd-matte-black

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you move up to an 18" size on the Nitto you'll gain almost 1000lbs (rated: 4080) in load capacity per tire.

I ran the 35" flavor of the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on a 9k rig with all the weight on it full time and tons of offroading with not a single issue ever.

With the truck and fully loaded camper i got close to 45k miles out of a set and still had tons of life on them. Probably 10k of that was on dirt.

What pressure are you running? Guessing maybe too low and youre building up a ton of heat.

I ran 65psi rear and 55psi front for whatever thats worth

Garet

As I stated... 6,000 lb on rear axle, 4,000 lb up front. That's 10,000 lb total with 3,000 lb per wheel on the rear. A 121 rating (3,195 lb) tire might seem to be enough, but personal experience driving rough back-country roads tells me otherwise. I want to move away from 17" rims because no one makes a heavier 17" tire anywhere close to the original vehicle tire size of 265/70/17. Wide 37" tires are not going to fit and I don't want an M/T tread.

Feitl

I’m running into the same issue with my ambulance. In fact, same weight ratings front and rear. I’m going to buy some Cooper AT3 with 129S tire ratings and some method 4500 lb rims. That should do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears