Hell froze over, I bought an isuzu..

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
Just bought this trooper locally. I`ve been a bronco guy for a long time and well, wanted something different and more overland and MPG friendly.

1987 trooper II, 2.3, 5 speed, 41000 original miles, I`m the third owner. Came with ALL documentation, every reciept for everything ever bought for it. Included was all dealer brochures and paperwork and window sticker..

002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

upndown

Adventurer
Hi Kenny, Welcome.. Wow great looking trooper..Nice find!! Let the fun begin. What are your plans for it? Funny I have an 85 Bronco and 95 Passport/ rodeo. If you have any issues or questions, try Planetisuzu.com. They've been able to answer many of my questions :sombrero:

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
Will do. I plan on replacing the original belts and hoses, replacing the fluids with synthetics, upgrading the tires, installing a few offroad tools and then looking for a destination to head off to..

upndown

Adventurer
Good place to start!! Routine maint. is Key on these guys.. A small lift is easily done on troops, new tires then point and go. where are you located? Looks a little greener than my neck of the woods..Enjoy

Frank

Explorer
Wow, very nice! I would recommend going with good ole dino oil...the non-synthetic stuff. Remember, this is a vehicle with 1980's technology...back when they were built to run 300k miles on the stuff that was available at the time. (back when synthetic oils were for those super cars...)

Also, dont forget to go through the brakes and bushings. A vehicle with less than 1000 miles a year means many parts sat. A vehicle with no miles can sometimes be worse than a vehicle with many miles.

Regardless, very nice! I am jealous.

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
Nice 1st gen! '87 was a change over year. If you have rear disc brakes then you have a 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front axle. If you have drum rear brakes you have a 10 bolt rear 8 bolt front. These are the number of bolts in the ring gear not the housing. The 2.3 is a carb'ed engine. Not quite as powerful as the EFI 2.6 but gets better fuel economy. With that motor I'd keep tire upgrades to 31x10.50x15. It's also a good idea to replace the factory auto hubs with manuals and repack the front hubs.

That factory service manual is worth it's weight in gold.

Thank you for the info. I searched long and hard on info about 2 rigs I wanted. A trooper or a montero. I bought this since it was well,in awesome condition. I was supposed to drive to Missouri to look at an 89 montero for far less money, but 100k more miles the day after I bought this. Also, this is an early trooper as it has drum brakes. I plan on running 30" tire max. to keep things from getting too stressed. I will be using this as my overlander and all around roadtrip rig, mainly for just me as my wife likely wouldn`t be interested.

sisu

Adventurer
We had one back home in AK. Served the family well. Did 6 trips on the Alaska Highway I finally replaced the engine with another that a friend brought up from the 48. That engine did The Highway 4 times and then I gave the Trooper to a teenaged son who beat the dog snot out of it. He finally threw a rod thru the pan and I gave it to a student that wanted a project.

If I could find another one of the old ones like your's I'd buy it and bring it to Juneau

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone! Now, what needs to be done to get this thing to sit level instead of the nose down look it has now? And are there better consoles out there? I kinda miss my broncos cup holders..

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Sure, get yourself a 27mm socket and a long breaker bar. Jack up the front end to unload the suspension, and get underneath the middle of the Trooper and find the crossmember at the rearward end of the torsion bars. Spray some PB Blaster or similar on the large bolts there, and "crank" the 27mm bolts righty-tighty. The front suspension ride height will go up in the rough neighborhood of 1/4" per full turn of the adjustment bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman