Hella Rallye 4000 - Euro vs FF Driving beams

MicahE

Hi,

I'm looking to add a couple of aux driving lights to my 04 Tundra and have basically settled on the Hella Rallye 4000 in either the Euro beam or the FF (free form) Driving beam but haven't found a clear comparison between the two. I've mined this, and other, forums/youtube for this info but find contradictory info - or none. Obviously some will prefer one or the other, depending on their needs.

The best comparison I've found is from an amazon review where someone puts them side-by-side. Unfortunately they don't identify which is which and I definitly prefer one over the other. Could someone here, who has experience with either or both, please comment on which they think is which? PLEASE ONLY COMMENT IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ONE OR BOTH.

From the amazon review - " I could not find any comparison between these and the free form reflector (clear lens) so I bought both and made a comparison, side-by-side. The euro beam is pretty narrow, which would be better for long range, while the FF gives a broader beam and a weird cutoff."

I feel like the beam on the left side (left side of tape) is wider and has a more normal cutoff and that the beam on the right side is narrower and has a weird cutoff. This is contradictory from what the reviewer states.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

left.JPG right.JPG

robert

Expedition Leader
I had the Euro Rallye 4000 full sized on my 1st gen Tacoma (with 100watt bulbs) before swapping to the compacts (also 100 watt bulbs); I put them on my 2nd gen when I got it (halogen obviously). Hella used to have the light pattern diagrams on their website but it I didn't see them when I just looked. I liked the pattern on them, it was a cross between the driving (long throw) and the fog (wide) and there is no way I'd have outdriven them without beating the truck to pieces. A buddy had the Rallye 4000 FF on his truck and I honestly couldn't tell much difference but I don't recall what wattage his bulbs were.

I had Hella 500 FF (also halogens) on my VW bus but that's not a fair comparison since they're a budget line. I have no experience with their LED lines.

I have a 20" LED bar on the front now but don't care for it as much as the older halogen bulbs; I keep saying I'm going to swap back to the Hellas but never seem to get around to it. Sorry, not much help I know.....

MicahE

I had the Euro Rallye 4000 full sized on my 1st gen Tacoma (with 100watt bulbs) before swapping to the compacts (also 100 watt bulbs); I put them on my 2nd gen when I got it (halogen obviously). Hella used to have the light pattern diagrams on their website but it I didn't see them when I just looked. I liked the pattern on them, it was a cross between the driving (long throw) and the fog (wide) and there is no way I'd have outdriven them without beating the truck to pieces. A buddy had the Rallye 4000 FF on his truck and I honestly couldn't tell much difference but I don't recall what wattage his bulbs were.

I had Hella 500 FF (also halogens) on my VW bus but that's not a fair comparison since they're a budget line. I have no experience with their LED lines.

I have a 20" LED bar on the front now but don't care for it as much as the older halogen bulbs; I keep saying I'm going to swap back to the Hellas but never seem to get around to it. Sorry, not much help I know.....
Well thanks anyway. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the older Euro beams. I’d really only seen positive comments on them so felt good enough about it. Now deciding how to shorten the connection from body of housing to to the harness since they way the light is mounted there’s a bit o’ bumper that restricts space for the unnecessarily long connector.

A ‘65 Bus was the first owned vehicle I owned. Had it until I started having kids and felt the need for something safer. I’ll never forget her and will always dream about her.

billiebob

Lighting is due to change exponentially over the next few years now that North America has stepped into the future and legalized the lights the rest of the world uses..... I'd wait a year to see where it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior