Hello Jeepers

ike32mike

So I discovered what I so dearly love is called Overlanding. The idea of expeditions and discovering places and documenting my adventures is a dream of mine. Now I want to plan a trip across Canada and America. Take the time I need and see the most magnificent and grandiose places of what this planet (at least the North American continent for now) has to offer. I want to do this with the comfort of my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4 Door. I need help from the experts, which is you guys. I will need guidance and patience for this plan of mine. Im still in the process of planning the whole extravaganza so everything is still in the works. Regarding the Jeep, I need to rig it with the proper materials. My first things on the To-Do List is getting tires, a lift, roof rack, and a roof top tent. Now I was thinking 2.5" lift with 35's but I know with the weight of all the gear and the jeep loaded, a 2.5" lift with 35's will probably not do, unless you guys for sure know otherwise. I went to get a quote for AEV 3.5" with 35's and it is just way to expensive. I was hoping for it to be cheaper. So I was thinking of just going down to 33's and a 2.5" AEV lift. Will this be fine off road in the back country with the weight?

Also is there any advice you guys have for first time gearing and getting everything together. I've been camping plenty of times but actually doing something like this solo has me nervous but I keep my hopes in accomplishing this strong. I'm sure you will see me around this forum more often.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Congrats and welcome. Most experts recommend going no larger than 2.5" lift for expedition vehicles. If you want to run 35" tires, you could get the 2.5" lift and flat fenders. You could even get airbags in the back if your loads are real heavy. I think keeping the Jeep as close to stock as possible, while addressing the limitations and specific needs for your adventures is the way to go. If the Jeep breaks down far from home, it will be nice to know that you could roll into the closest dealership and get her all fixed up. Of course that's just my opinion and many will disagree.

What gear ratio do you have in your sport? What type of terrain do you envision running?

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
I will suggest starting out without a lift and start adventuring. In my opinion more important mods are Tires, skids and rock rail/sliders, to protect the jeep. There are few places a stock Wrangler cannot go.

If you have never been offroad take a course. Take your time, and have fun with it.

HKguy

I put a 3.5 AEV lift with the high steer and shocks for around $2400 shipped from Desert Rat. Drove it awhile with the stock Rubicon wheels and tires and got 35's and different wheels for around $2300 all together. Goodyear Duratracs and stayed with 17" wheels. Find a good Jeep club and be a part of it, usually there are a ton of fellow Jeepers that will help you install stuff if you don't have the tools or garage. Keep your gear ratio in mind when upgrading your tire size also. New 3.6l helps offset power loss but 35's will put a dent in your power for sure.

winch

get yourself a reliable winch,, You may not ever need it but when you do it is a lifesaver. On ally vehicles I only got stuck when I din't have a winch that was when i needed it ironically when I had a winch on the vehicle it never got stuck. Go figure!

reskar

Observer
I'm looking to do the same thing with the same jeep. I went with 2.5 aev lift and 255/85/16 st maxx tires (33s) use 255/80/17 if you had 17 inch wheels. Good size and tread for off road. Can keep stock wheels and better gas mileage and road manners than wider tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12