Help deciding what to do

WickedZJ

Adventurer
So my 1994 Grand Cherokee has the rocker panels rusting out very badly. I may be able to cut them out and add in some 4X4 square tubing in to replace them and act as sliders. It has the 5.2L V8 that runs very smooth for the mileage (almost 200k), it also has a 3.5" lift and a roof rack. Now due to the rust I am thinking or replacing it. I am trying to decide if it is best to keep the one I have, buy another ZJ and swap parts over, buy a Cherokee or buy a 99-02 Grand. Any help with this decision would be appreciated.

Also what are peoples opinions on 4.0L vs. V8? Does the 4.0L have the power to handle offroad adventures?

Jeffb79

Observer
I've got a TJ, but love my 4.0. I can't imagine needing more power than I have offroad. It's a dog when you move up in tire size so new gears are usually recommended.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Also what are peoples opinions on 4.0L vs. V8? Does the 4.0L have the power to handle offroad adventures?
Had a '01 WJ with the 4.0 I6, a '06 Commander with the 4.7 V8 and currently for my son a 95 ZJ with the 5.2 V8. The 5.2 is by far the nicest engine, while the 4.7 was - at least for me in the Commander - one big disappointment. The 4.0 was fine, for off-road more than adequate with the torque at low rpm, almost like a V8.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I found the 4.0 in the WJ more than enough for a stock WJ. It seemed to have a good bit more power than my TJ ever had.

I've also driving the 4.7 commander, they really need to drop that engine and go straight to the hemi. It seems a little underpowered for that vehicle and results in some pretty poor gas mileage as well.

Lumberjack

Adventurer
Having had a couple of ZJ's with the 5.2 and a few LJ's with 4.0, I would have a hard time going to a ZJ with a 4.0. All the 318's I had run like a scalded dog. The LJ's with the 4.0 were great for low end grunt but when on the go pedal seemed like a slug compared to the ZJ's. The one ZJ did have 3" carsound cat, flowmaster muffler and a Mike Leach mandrel bent tailpipe... sound was sweet and run hard. If I every find the coin there will be a 318 under the hood of my TJ. My 2 cents, buy another ZJ, swap parts and keep as many spare parts from the old one as possible.

Dennis

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to look for another ZJ and go from there. If my rockers can be salvaged I may keep the one I hae and go from there but looks like I need to keep the 5.2 for sure.

On my latest overland run of over 500 miles, we had my '98 XJ, an '08 JK Unlimited and a '95 v8 ZJ. We all got very comparable mileage when comparing gallons being refilled at the pump.:smiley_drive:

Had I known the difference in mileage would be so little I would have a ZJ right now and not be contemplating the pros/cons/costs of a stroker, supercharger or v8 swap. :coffee:

Save yourself the headache and stick with the v8. :victory:

JPFreek1

Explorer
On my latest overland run of over 500 miles, we had my '98 XJ, an '08 JK Unlimited and a '95 v8 ZJ. We all got very comparable mileage when comparing gallons being refilled at the pump.:smiley_drive:

Had I known the difference in mileage would be so little I would have a ZJ right now and not be contemplating the pros/cons/costs of a stroker, supercharger or v8 swap. :coffee:

Save yourself the headache and stick with the v8. :victory:

I've gotta agree. The mileage gain/loss is negligible and for the added power, going with the V8 in this platform is the way to go. Good luck!

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
V8 all day baby.

i usually get 18-20 highway with my 4.7L commander w/ lift and tires. The motor is great, just wish there was a little more low end torque. i guess there is a programmer out there finally for the commander. someday i'll pick on up. its supposed to fix the low end issue.

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Well I talked to my fabricator. He is going to take a look at some links online to see what exactly needs to be done to take care of my rusty rockers. If he can do it we will be cutting out the old rockers and welding in some 4x4x3/16 square tubing. Can we say upgrade and sliders :) If we do this I will be keeping my 94 and slowly getting it built. That means I get to keep my 3.5" lift and the 5.2L. I am looking into headers, a snorkel, a stage 1 jet module and a high flow exhaust. These should help with the mileage.

Anyone know of some other things I can look at to help increase mileage?

cocco78

Adventurer
Don't rule out the 4.7L in the WJ... I had a 99 limited with the 4.7L and quadra-drive and it was probably the best vehicle i've ever owned. The 4.7L has plenty of power in the WJ, the comander is bigger and heavier. I consistantly saw 20-22 mpg highway with it. I've even towed with it on occasion and was happy with it. I've driven some older ZJ's with the 5.2L and was not impressed at all with them, poor mileage and underpowered.

10wtp38.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12