Help needed upgrading FWC 12V system

Krist003

Hello group,

I need some guidance from some of you electrical gurus. I recently purchased a 2004 four wheel camper (FWC) "Hawk" model. I am going through it and making worthwhile upgrades and have some questions regarding the 12V system.

Usage needs:
Right now I don't think I will wire the truck for the camper because I'm not sure if I really need it with my limited power needs. I will mostly use the camper for dry camping weekend trips (solo or with my young son) and maybe a once per year 5-7 day trip (we have a trailer for the major camping trips). Fridge is a 3-way so that will run off propane. That leaves the heater (not installed yet), lights, USB plugs and water pump. Limited use on all of those things except the heater through the night. I have a Honda inverter generator I can bring along with me as well if I really need to. The camper stays plugged-in in my garage when in storage so the battery will always be at full charge when I go.

Current Upgrades:
So far I have changed out the Elixir ELX-30 converter/power center to a Power Dynamics PD4135. It is a AC/DC distribution panel and power converter combo with smart charging. I also thought about replacing the Sure Power 1314A battery separator with a Blue Sea SI-ACR automatic charging relay/isolator (like FWC uses now), but I'm not sure if I will gain anything if I don't ever plug the camper into the truck.

Questions:

1: Is it silly not to plug the camper into the trucks battery system? I'm trying to keep it simple unless there is a worthwhile benefit to me.

2: Is the Blue Sea SI-ACR a worthwhile upgrade considering my needs? Or is it pointless if I don't ever plan to plug the camper into the trucks battery system?

3: Is it worthwhile to upgrade the battery cable size in the camper from the battery to the isolator? FWC uses 10awg at the factory, but I have some #6 if it will give any benefit. Will upsizing this short 6' run of cable help with charging when plugged into shore power? If I did end up wiring the truck for the camper, I would use 6awg as well.

4. If I upgrade the wire in the camper to #6, should I install a larger 12V circuit breaker at the battery for protection? It doesn't even have one currently. I believe 80A would be a match with the #6 wire?

5: If I upgrade the wire in the camper to #6, should I also upgrade the reverse polarity fuse in the new converter (it is currently a 40A fuse)? Assuming I'd leave that alone so it doesn't damage the converter.

I think that about covers it for now. Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any guidance you can give!!! I really appreciate it.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I am a big fan of overbuilding things at times and if this was mine I would upgrade all the wiring with the appropriate circuit breakers, wiring, etc. Also I know you said you only go for weekends but again what if you wanted to go longer, or had to go longer? For this I would look into adding solar. Currently have a battery system that is not hooked up to the truck and it is self sufficient with solar forever as far as I know. Have not had an issue with my power consumption. If I did I could always upgrade some things to accomodate. Maybe something to think about for your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger