Help wanted - Overland Camper Build Direction

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Can an air conditioner go on the Hiatus? I didn't think the design would accommodate one.
This.
I recommend reaching out to them to discuss this before getting your heart set on this as an option. Due to the geometry of folding a hard sided pop up there are only certain places in the roof they could even fit a fan. Also there is not supposed to be much weight on the roof while opening the tent (I don't know the number but it isn't very much IIRC.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Why not just pull a toy hauler with a side by side for trails during the day, then retire to Holiday Inn?

simple

Adventurer
you mentioned in your first post "Obviously the largest factor would be trail size and height for branches."

Do you really need 40s on your jeep to do the trails you want to do Obviously this makes the jeep much taller. This and a popup, if you have an AC on the top aren't are going to be pretty tall, with a very expensive AC unit (if able to be installed) as your highest point.
Hiatus does do custom work, but the amount of weight you can have in your roof and still pop I think is pretty limited. Also, based on the folding geometry they told me that fans can only be installed in certain locations.

My 2 cents, if you buy a new vehicle, maybe start very slow with your build so you are sure as you add things that it is truly what you want.
You may have $150k to spend, but I would be cautious about throwing all that money at something only to have it for sale on here is a couple of years at a big loss to you.
There is something to be said for running all the local trails with a mild build to see how far you can get and then add mods as you find limitations. So many ways to skin that cat. Going big out of the gate and walking through all the obstacles is fine too.

simple

Adventurer
Why not just pull a toy hauler with a side by side for trails during the day, then retire to Holiday Inn?
Did you have a red bull for breakfast? This is an overlanding thread. LOL 🤣

Modern side by sides have insane out of the box capability and are really fun. It takes a lot of time and money to squeeze that much performance out of a jeep.

The draw back for SXS's for me is I don't like the noise from the engine and CVT right behind my head. They also have horrible graphics and body styling and it's hard to not look like a jerk driving one. He He.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer

Modern side by sides have insane out of the box capability and are really fun. It takes a lot of time and money to squeeze that much performance out of a jeep.

The draw back for SXS's for me is I don't like the noise from the engine and CVT right behind my head. They also have horrible graphics and body styling and it's hard to not look like a jerk driving one. He He.
My only issue with SXSs is not anything about them or their owners. it's all the folks who rent one and drive like they stole it, with no experience and trail etiquette!
:mad:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

Ear plugs work, blue tooth stereo, wear a mask and no one will know it's you.
How about a 650+ cc bike for the trails?
Holiday Inn has been serving overlanders for about 75 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior