Help with Switches, ARB Rocker back to OEM style Pushbutton

wicked1

I'm trying to replace an ARB rocker switch the previous owner of my truck installed, with a dual pushbutton style. So, today I pulled the rocker, wired up the pushbutton, push it in the dash, and it just falls back into it. Apparently to install the ARB rockers, you've got to trim away all the internal mounting surfaces in the dash, which the OEM pushbuttons snapped in to.
Does anyone know of an insert or something to convert a slightly larger rocker hole, back into the OEM pushbutton style? Or have any other suggestions? I really need to replace 4 rockers w/ two dual pushbuttons, to make room for more stuff.

I should mention, I did look at AirOnBoard and the other... 4x4 something or other site that has a lot of switches. They have rocker inserts.. But I'm not seeing any single pushbutton style inserts.

Thanks for any advice!

4000lbsOfGoat

What kind of vehicle are we talking about here?

Was the "4x4 something or other site" CH4x4.com?

You may need to replace the whole panel where the switch needs to be installed...CH4x4 has a bunch of panels for Toyotas.

dirtyparts.com also has lots of switches\switching-related stuff.

wicked1

2nd gen Tacoma.
Yes, CH4x4.
Both sets of switches in the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, have been 'modified' to the bigger rocker switches.
I don't really want to cut away the entire dash in that area and install a new plate.. But, that might be my only option. CH4x4 does have 3 switch panels. I'd really have to butcher my truck, though.
dirtyparts looks like all rocker switches and panels.

Maybe I can design and 3d print something. Just need a thin insert w/ the recessed clip locations, to hold the pushbutton switch in.

4000lbsOfGoat

Hmm, not sure about 2nd Gen...
The switches are directly in the dash and not already on some type of removable plate?

wicked1

Yes, directly in the dash. Molded into the plastic.
This isn't my truck, but I found a pic online:

7ed6.jpg

For anyone unfamiliar w/ the differences between the pushbutton and the rockers.. The rockers internal casing can be the same size as the hole, all the way to the end. While the pushbuttons have narrower bodies, meant to slide between a narrower internal support.. I'll post a pic. The darker gray internal step area in the pic below, is cut away in my dash. I want it back.
tacopushbutton.png

I should be able to 3d print an insert to do it.. assuming it's strong enough. I'm imagining something like the toggle switch in that dash pic I posted above, w/ the black surround on the outside. The surround will hold it in place, and it will have the internal step part in the hole. Then the switch will clip into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman