Hinge/tailgate weight capacity on a '12 JKU?

wandererr

Adventurer
Howdy! So I got some ideas but before I even test them out and put them into something tangible I'm curious if anyone has an idea as to the weight capacity of the JKU hinge mount. I currently have the morryde hinge and gate stiffener but I wonder about the body side. How much weight can it bear. I have seen folks with 37s on upgraded tailgate mounts along with fuel cans and storage but is the body up to it? The fact that the hinge can support it does not mean that the body where the hinge is mounted won't have issues.

Thoughts? Backed with some sort of data of course ;)

billiebob

I thought the Morryde hinge included body reinforcement that ties into the rollbar mount.
Ask the manufacturer and let us know what they say.
It is not on their website.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I had a Teraflex hinge on 4 different JK's and also ran a TF rack on one of them and never had an issue. Did plenty of offroading with it. 100+lb spare and the racks are close to 100lbs and had plenty more weight on it.

2B3B0698-C4F1-4269-BB7B-4BACAE1E1A1B_4_5005_c.jpeg

wandererr

Adventurer
I had a Teraflex hinge on 4 different JK's and also ran a TF rack on one of them and never had an issue. Did plenty of offroading with it. 100+lb spare and the racks are close to 100lbs and had plenty more weight on it.

View attachment 694713
How long did you have each jeep? I'm curious about long term cracking/wear and tear on the body side mount.

When I get home I'll pop off the tail light and snake a cam in there to see what's there.

I got an idea that might work out pretty nicely but don't want to screw things up

billiebob

That's for TJ. I'm asking about a JK
That's for TJ. I'm asking about a JK
Good point, I never noticed the JK does not include that tie in. The manufacturer would be the only place to find a capacity limit and not many after market suppliers want the liability of a hard number.

I've seen a few reinforce with checker plate corner guards.

Buyer beware with everything after market but I rank Morryde as one of the best.

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpeg

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
How long did you have each jeep? I'm curious about long term cracking/wear and tear on the body side mount.

When I get home I'll pop off the tail light and snake a cam in there to see what's there.

I got an idea that might work out pretty nicely but don't want to screw things up
the longest was over 50,000 miles but that one was used hard.

wADVr

Adventurer
I have never ‘seen’ a failure but for this exact reason is why I have not gone this route With one additional worry along the same line. That being what happens when you end up in a precarious spot where the spare is wedged up against the ground or a tree or something? Sounds extreme but easy to do on many trails in Moab, Rubicon etc. I have had a worry that the tail gate would deflect and blow out the window and then also end up damaging the hinge side of the tub in the process.

billiebob

I'll post add a picture of my TJR tailgate. The biggest tire I carried was a 33 on the stock carrier. But it has almost 300K miles on it, I used it for work, it got opened, slammed shut 1000 times a year for 10 years..... it got driven hard, fast, on rough roads.

Add more weight???? I cannot believe the guys who add a 35, 5 gallons of gas, a highlift jack plus an overhead rack..... absolutely crazy. I think yer mind is in the right place, yer questioning how much weight can I add...... follow yer instincts..... none. The spare tire rack and the body supporting it is engineered to carry the spare tire. Like everything JEEP, one mod leads to the next mod.

Just Empty Every Pocket.... Truth.

The other worry about blowing out the window etc...... well that is what happens..... do not take a trailer queen on the Rubicon.... expect trail damage everytime you go off road. Pinstriping is the badge of honour. AND minimize the weight of everything. Excess creates weakness. Travel LIGHT.

My TJR, First down the trail... towing the OSB BOX too

And my co pilot,,,, he'll be like this for 300 miles..... and sleep like a dog once we get there.... he misses nothing.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For what it's worth, I ran the AEV rear tire carrier on my JK for 54,000 miles around Africa on the worst roads imaginable, then another 30,000 around North America without ever a single problem.
I had approx a 100lbs spare on there, with a shovel, hi-lift and 2 maxtrax. I also had the fuel caddy, which was full of 10 gallons of fuel over 50 times, including when I drove all the way from Djibouti through Ethiopia and Sudan into Egypt with it full the entire time. (a few thousand miles on nightmarish roads).

I realize the AEV completely bypasses the stock setup, but I though the data point would be helpful.
If I were stacking more weight on there, I'd be going AEV.

-Dan

billiebob

Yep.Vote 2 for AEV. I think they are the BEST engineering company for Jeep aftermarket. I put their HighLine on my TJR.
I agree with Dan, if you want add more than the tire, look at the best bumper mount options. And understand if its cheap, it was cheaply built too. There are a few great choices. AEV, AEB, Savvy.... But no one offers a warranty, it is buyer beware, they sell enough add on options to guarantee repeat sales. . Follow the installation instructions. The biggest downfall is ignoring the snubbers to keep it all tight.

billiebob

100lbs spare on there, with a shovel, hi-lift and 2 maxtrax.
Question, how often did you use the highlift and was it indespensible?

ps, We had a young family over last week, they saw your Africa coffee table book and said, "We know him"... and the new her.
Tiny world. My wife knits, they bought toques.... and drank coffee forever.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have an 07 with the teraflex carrier. Spare + Titan 11-13 gallon fuel tank + Trasharoo (with about 20# of gear). The tank has been run full for many many miles on and off pavement. The body flexes/sags when the tank is full. I'd not waste my money on it again. Morryde with tire only...frame/bumper mounted if heavy spare + tank and other gear.

Are my body mount bushing tired? At this point probably - the gate 'lifts' when shutting/latching a full 1/4". Time to readjust the hinge...but it wont be enough to keep it from 'dropping' as you open the gate. I recall it happening the day I installed the Teraflex system...and that was several years ago. The biggest issue is that when full loaded, the door is hard to keep open on a modest incline (even with the HD gas strut installed).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Question, how often did you use the highlift and was it indespensible?

ps, We had a young family over last week, they saw your Africa coffee table book and said, "We know him"... and the new her.
Tiny world. My wife knits, they bought toques.... and drank coffee forever.

Ha, small world!

I only used the hi-lift for tire rotations (I didn't have any other jack).
I don't have one now for my Australian expedition, and I doubt I'll ever have one again. In all honesty it was probably the most dangerous thing I had with me, and the chance of injury is too high in my opinion. I'll stick with a quality bottle jack from now on.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12