Hitch Riser?

telwyn

Adventurer
No worries on the hijack - happy for this thread to go whatever direction it goes...

That's the LR3 and Range Rover Sport Receiver. It's a quick release into the hitch adapter built into the Land Rovers. I completely agree there were better options given the angle issues I've now encountered, but I didn't think that far ahead when I spent the money buying it a year ago. I originally bought it for my yakima receiver bike rack and am only now wanting to tow the m416 for longer trips than the Lightweight goes on.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Is it possible that a custon "slider" could be made to fit the Rover 'anchor' part and allow the pintle to be bolted to it?

telwyn

Adventurer
I'm sure anything is possible particularly with some of the talented folks we have here on ExPo, but for me, it's better and probably just a tad more money to buy the right pintle mount adapter. Found one today with a 14 1/2 inch shank that is going to be perfect for me. The 12 inch one I returned this afternoon to Northern Tool was literally 1/4 to maybe 1/2 inch too short. I'll have good spacing now and it's still well within the load capabilities.

I've certainly learned a lot through my trial and error on this. :coffeedrink:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I can't find the link right now but I will look.
Harbor Freight carries a hitch extender ... which is basically a correct size post to slide into your current hitch, and then extends out 6 inches and then graduates to the size (again) to accept your hitch.
Seems like many items to make what you want, but with that goofy land rover hitch (no offense, I am a land rover guy as well), you have to do ... what you have to do.

Dendy

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'd avoid any "spacer" things like the plauge. A 2" reciever is already sloppy enough, no need to double up the slop.

telwyn

Adventurer
hitch is finally all set

Got my pintle hitch situation squared away. Mounted the pintle on a pintle mount adapter that has a 14 inch shank and a 13 inch rise. Had to use the top two holes of the rise mount to get the height properly aligned with the trailer's lunette, but I'm good to go now.

As you tell from the poor iPhone photo, even with a 14 inch shank, I don't clear the hitch receiver or bumper by much...

PintleHitchMount.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman