HJ45 Tranny Options

Strider

Observer
Hello!
So I will be leaving my HJ45 pickup (1980) with the mechanic in about two weeks until I can go get it and drive back in the summer.
This may allow me the opportunity-funds cooperating-to swap out the 4 speed transmission for a 5 speed, thus allowing me to travel faster than 45-50mph. I don;t need to be ab le to do 75-80... doing 60mph without stressing the engine would be just fine.

• The HJ came from Costa Rica.
  • Will be used for cross country travel and "overlanding" with a lightweight camper shell on the back (pop-up roof similar to Alu-Cab).
  • No extreme trails or deliberate rock crawling, but want to retain the low range and capability in case of difficult trail sections.
  • Planned upgrades:
    • Old Man Emu (Maybe BP51s)/Terrain Tamer suspension (parabolic rear springs).
    • Power Steering
    • Interior sound-proofing of cabin.
    • Rear window converted to emergency entry hatch from camper.
    • Extended range fuel tank.
    • Pizza Cuter Tires.
A plate on the HJ shows this information:
HJ45LP
Z 12

Have not been able to find out how to decipher those numbers.

What options do I have regarding transmission and transfer case?

What I know so far is:

Transmission: get an H55F.

Since the transfer case has to come out, I am thinking I should rebuild it or get a new one (as well as new clutch). Right now I don't know if which T -case I have.

If it's the split t-case, is this bad?

I have heard about the Orion, the Atlas, or rebuilding the t-case. Cruiser Outfitters seems to be a good deal.
I will not be putting huge tires on (will probably go with 33s in pizza cutter profile) or doing extreme things. I do want the vehicle to be very reliable. May not need extreme T-Case but want something that won;t shred on a trail.

I appreciate the input! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 0

nickw

Adventurer
Hello!
So I will be leaving my HJ45 pickup (1980) with the mechanic in about two weeks until I can go get it and drive back in the summer.
This may allow me the opportunity-funds cooperating-to swap out the 4 speed transmission for a 5 speed, thus allowing me to travel faster than 45-50mph. I don;t need to be ab le to do 75-80... doing 60mph without stressing the engine would be just fine.

• The HJ came from Costa Rica.
  • Will be used for cross country travel and "overlanding" with a lightweight camper shell on the back (pop-up roof similar to Alu-Cab).
  • No extreme trails or deliberate rock crawling, but want to retain the low range and capability in case of difficult trail sections.
  • Planned upgrades:
    • Old Man Emu (Maybe BP51s)/Terrain Tamer suspension (parabolic rear springs).
    • Power Steering
    • Interior sound-proofing of cabin.
    • Rear window converted to emergency entry hatch from camper.
    • Extended range fuel tank.
    • Pizza Cuter Tires.
A plate on the HJ shows this information:
HJ45LP
Z 12

Have not been able to find out how to decipher those numbers.

What options do I have regarding transmission and transfer case?

What I know so far is:

Transmission: get an H55F.

Since the transfer case has to come out, I am thinking I should rebuild it or get a new one (as well as new clutch). Right now I don't know if which T -case I have.

If it's the split t-case, is this bad?

I have heard about the Orion, the Atlas, or rebuilding the t-case. Cruiser Outfitters seems to be a good deal.
I will not be putting huge tires on (will probably go with 33s in pizza cutter profile) or doing extreme things. I do want the vehicle to be very reliable. May not need extreme T-Case but want something that won;t shred on a trail.

I appreciate the input! Thank you!
Some folks are more familiar with these then me but I'd say if you want reliable just rebuild the stock stuff. Once you get into aftermarket Tcases you open up a huge can of worms. You'll need to familiarize yourself with your rig, get on IH8mud and figure it all out.

I'd be concerned if that 2H engine could pull that rig + oversize tires + shell + gear in overdrive with your stock axle gearing, which I assume are 4:10's...you may be barking up the wrong tree with a H55 until you do the math on speed vs gearing vs RPM. My 78' FJ40 was sketchy driving faster than 55/60 with it's 4-speed, it would do it, but it also had 30-40 hp more than your rig. I think power is going to hold you back more than gearing.

Split cases are desirable! It's what Toyota transitioned to after the prev design, they moved the ebrake from Tcase output shaft to rear axle when doing it which is a much better design.

Strider

Observer
Yeah I'm gonna have to do some research. Gonna see the truck for the first time tomorrow, and drive it across Florida (about 150 miles) to the mechanic. I'll be taking a bunch of notes and pictures to see exactly what I have and then look stuff up.

If I had more time I would try and diagnose the issue myself and replace the alternator if necessary-but unfortunately I only have tomorrow, and not even the whole day, to do whatever I need to do, including driving it.

As far as the H55, etc. I will have to do some research and ask questions. Not familiar at all with this vehicle yet. I agree with rebuilding the stock stuff whenever possible. I can't stand the hybrid stuff much as it gets confusing. Had a friend with a Jeep that he made the whole suspension and did a bunch of other mods himself. Even as a mechanic her wound up regretting all of it because anytime something needed replacement, he needed to tow it to his shop to manufacturer or repair the part-nothing was readily available. I want a vehicle as simple as possible.

Last edited:

Strider

Observer
Some folks are more familiar with these then me but I'd say if you want reliable just rebuild the stock stuff. Once you get into aftermarket Tcases you open up a huge can of worms. You'll need to familiarize yourself with your rig, get on IH8mud and figure it all out.

I'd be concerned if that 2H engine could pull that rig + oversize tires + shell + gear in overdrive with your stock axle gearing, which I assume are 4:10's...you may be barking up the wrong tree with a H55 until you do the math on speed vs gearing vs RPM. My 78' FJ40 was sketchy driving faster than 55/60 with it's 4-speed, it would do it, but it also had 30-40 hp more than your rig. I think power is going to hold you back more than gearing.

Split cases are desirable! It's what Toyota transitioned to after the prev design, they moved the ebrake from Tcase output shaft to rear axle when doing it which is a much better design.

Yeah I have to learn about this rig and the engine. Have zero experience with it. Largest tires I would put on would be 33" pizza cutters, but maybe not even that big.
The shell will likely have a steel frame, but be skinned with something like NidaCore. My goal is to keep it lightweight as possible. Not going to build complex drawers and kitchen drawers etc. Cooking will be on a portable gas stove, for example. Still, I will be adding an auxiliary fuel tank, water tank, 270 awning, shower en-suite, etc. The toilet will be a folding toilet seat with bags. I don't se the need for a port-a-potty etc.

I really like what Andrew St. Pierre White did with his troopy. When I found his channel I really liked it because his philosophy is very close to mine with vehicles, except he knows a hell of a lot more than I do! So my build is sort of a retro/hybrid version of his troopy.
He did the "Dream Tourer" but that's not what I will do. That shell was nice, but did not work as a live-in space. I think it was due to the flatbed making it too high up. So my plan is to use the regular bed with the lightweight shell kind of like a troopy.

I also like shooting video and doing photography while going deep off road, and I also write and illustrate, so this will be a sort of a mobile studio-albeit very minimalist. I also am returning to painting murals and doing room themes for kid's rooms and businesses, as well as making props for theaters, so the truck may help for that, at least to travel. I figure it looks pretty cool so it can help attract some attention.

I've heard some people add a turbo to the 2H and it does fine with it. Have also heard that engine will have more than enough power with the right tranny/t-case. Dunno-lot's to learn.

But I do not want to build a rig with huge tires etc. I'm talking a 2.5 to 3" lift, probably OME with Terrain Tamer... I like the old school safari/military look with the very narrow tires.

Here's pretty much the look I like, including the tires:

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member