Home Made Gerry Can bracket

Rbertalotto

Explorer
My Palomino Bronco hangs off the back of my Short Bed Dodge about 18". This leaves a nice area on the sides to mount a gas can with back up fuel for the generator.

I whipped up a bracket to hold it this morning.

To secure the bottom of the can I made a bracket to bolt into the side and bottom of the camper:

P1030929-vi.jpg

It is basically two pieces of aluminum angle iron bolted together with a piece of bicycle inner tube stretched over to make tight and not wear on the gerry can.

P1030934-vi.jpg

Then I made a left and a right bracket to attach a ratchet strap to.

P1030927-vi.jpg

A simple piece of angle iron with a half inch bolt as an anchor point for the ratchet strap. A piece of inner tube keeps abrasive edges away from the gerry can

P1030928-vi.jpg

The can is mounted and secured with a ratchet strap.

This is the left attachment:
P1030935-vi.jpg

And this is the right:
P1030937-vi.jpg

P1030931-vi.jpg

P1030930-vi.jpg

Starting to look very ADVENTUROUS!

P1030932-vi.jpg

Attachments

• P1030935-vi.jpg
    P1030935-vi.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Maybe it's just me, but it looks like if you hit a good bump the can could bounce up and off the bracket which would then allow it to slide out of the strap. Will a Rotopax slide into the space between the camper and the bed? Or maybe build a bracket that holds the can lying down (do those cans leak on their side- no idea)?

Freebird

Adventurer
Very firm foam jammed between the top of the jerry can and the camper would hold it down into the bracket. Or a tuff inflatable balloon/bag would work too-until a better permanent fix can be cobbled up....

Fb

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
...it looks like if you hit a good bump the can could bounce up and off the bracket which would then allow it to slide out of the strap...

I can see that happening too. What about adding a length of chain/wire to act as a safety device and theft deterrent?

bob91yj

Resident **************
Tell me about the handles, rub bars, or what ever it is you have going along the sides and the back.

Spring loaded hook over the top handle should do the trick for the fuel can.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I would recommend some all thread to the through the handles, and then a bar (small bar stock would work) and a wing nut to hold it snug up top and reduce having it bounce off the lower mount. My Jeep has a very similar set-up...I can post photos if you'd like.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'd like to see pictures of your Jeep set up....Thanks!

The TC came with the "Towel Bars" mounted. The previous owner was a serious beach comber and used them to hang towels and to stabilize himself after a night of adult beverages.....:coffeedrink:

ZMagic97

Explorer
I'd like to see pictures of your Jeep set up....Thanks!

The TC came with the "Towel Bars" mounted. The previous owner was a serious beach comber and used them to hang towels and to stabilize himself after a night of adult beverages.....:coffeedrink:

Sure thing! I'll post some photos later today or early tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman