Honda CR-V!

I get it, thanks!

I forgot to mention that this model is the EX trim, which apparently has slightly less headroom, ABS, and alloy wheels.

I had opened the hood only twice, and because I was so tired, I did not notice that the engine bay is COMPLETELY CLEAN. No oil, no fluid anywhere, only dust from the last 200 miles of driving, new parts. How did that happen? It looks like the entire engine bay was replaced! it has over 93,000 miles on it!

:Wow1:

Stephanie

muchosdiaz

Congrats on the CRV,
we have a 1998 gen 1 with 155K that has been all over NM, Colorado and Montana as well as some of the back roads in the Texas hill country. The CRV is not a real off road vehicle as it does not have low range and some tender parts to hang down pretty low, but you will be surprised where you can go as long as you go slow and take your time.

I have found that it is critical that with the diff changes you use only Honda fluids. I know this sounds crazy, but after doing a complete oil change using quality oils but now honda rear diff fluid the rear end made horrible banging noises and sounded like it was going to come apart. After quickly draining and using Original Honda rear diff fluid the sounds all went away and things are working without issue.

Have fun

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
So AWD systems that are meant to be used on dry pavement have some sort of open differential (or viscous clutch) between the front and rear driveshafts. They have different ways of responding to the situation where you want different torque front and rear.

Some AWD have lockable center differentials as well - Land Rovers.

-Sam

paulj

Expedition Leader
The 1st generation RAV4 (late 90s) with manual transmission have a lockable center differential (operated with a push button on the dash), while the automatics use a viscous coupling. You could also get a Torsen limited slip differential in the rear on those manuals.

I have a 97 RAV4 automatic. The only time I got that stuck was when I tried to follow tracks through a late season snow drift in the Sierras north of I80. I ended up highcentered, with 3 wheels spinning in slush.

RAV4 owners refer to the CRV system as 'too late AWD', since it only sends power to the rear wheels after the front start spinning. Having experience with both I'm not sure that the Honda version is inferior. Early on I tried both cars on an icy hill, stopping in the middle, and trying to get moving again. The RAV spun its wheels and drifted to the side of the road, so I gave up. By gently nursing the gas I was able to get the Element moving, without too much side slip. I could feel power shift back to front as different wheels gained and lost traction.

I don't know why the Element was better in that situation. I don't think it was tires. More likely it was weight, or weight distribution, or maybe gearing. The RAV is much lighter (28psi v 32psi for the same size tire). The Element's gearing is higher (in 1st).

johnhughes051

I personally would not be interested in a CRV that had been used as a rental. I would take the advice given in another post and wait a few more weeks to get a great deal on a 2010 leftover.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I personally would not be interested in a CRV that had been used as a rental. I would take the advice given in another post and wait a few more weeks to get a great deal on a 2010 leftover.

I don't agree. I bought my 4runner from Enterprise Car Sales last year. It was 10 years old at that time and had over 117,000 miles on it and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it since then, approaching 130,000 miles.

I think the bias against rental cars comes from the days when rental companies used to keep their vehicles until they were falling apart. Nowadays most big rental companies change fleets on a regular basis every couple of years. They also do regular routine maintenance, which a private owner may or may not have done. Finally, cars are overall much better built now than they were even 20 years ago.

Bottom line, a properly cared for rental car is no more likely to be a problem than a properly cared for private owner car or lease car.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Once again, I agree with Martin. My 2001 Outback was a rental before I got it. I was nervous, based partly on how I have treated rentals in the past - but have had no more problems than any other Outback of that era - and far fewer than many other cars - now 9 years and 100k miles later it still drives like new

Viggen

Just here...
Some AWD have lockable center differentials as well - Land Rovers.

-Sam

My 09 Subaru Outback had a viscous locking center diff and a limited slip rear diff. I, personally, wouldnt buy a CR-V, rental or otherwise. If youre looking for a comfortable drive but still something that is completely capable of a little more than a gravel road, get a Forester or an Outback and call it a day.

You know what the only true off road vehicle is? Answer, a rental car. You can do whatever you want to it and then just give it back.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My folks bought a new CR-V in '98. 5 speed transmission, alloy wheels, etc. It was a pretty cool little rig. Unfortunately, with 10k miles on it, they handed the keys over to my then 16 year old brother. He took it out into the woods to go hunting, got it mired in a mud hole, and burned up the clutch and rear diff trying to get it out. 10k miles on it and $5500 in uninsurable damage. Needless to say, he was a dead man and my parents soon after got rid of the car (truck??) in favor of a mini van (so that the 16 year old wouldn't want to borrow it).

Ah yes.

Those were the days.

paulj

Expedition Leader
.... If youre looking for a comfortable drive but still something that is completely capable of a little more than a gravel road, get a Forester or an Outback and call it a day.....

What are the conditions that would limit a CRV (or Element or RAV4), but not a Forester? Do you know of any real world, side by side tests?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12