HOSS Fairlead

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I thought I would share a new hawse design I have been working on for the last few years.

signal-2023-04-25-094107_002.jpegsignal-2023-04-25-094107_006.jpegsignal-2023-04-25-094107_003.jpeg

This new hawse fairlead adds some very important features to the well established theory of using a smooth light aluminum hawse to guide synthetic lines on modern winches.

Constructed from CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum, the HOSS ( Harsh Operation Synthetic Safe ) fairlead provides one of the industries largest 3/4" radius on the front side to help further extend the life of your synthetic winch line. This 3/4" radius is even larger than most rollers on the market while packaging in a much more compact space. A conservative thickness limits exposure which helps prevent damage on the trail. There is also a 1/4" companion radius on the outer front edge for when you need to use the winch past 90 degrees, such as pulling on something under the vehicle for a trail repair or to help get a stubborn boulder out from under the chassis. In order to get the large front radius the mounting hardware has been changed to a 7/16 flush mounted socket head bolt. This style of mounting hardware gives you almost a full inch more 'slot' width to help your line spool on the drum more evenly.

The real innovation of the HOSS happens on back side however. After many years of using synthetic winch lines on roller or hawse fairleads, I began to notice a trend. A large percentage of damage to winch lines was not being caused by a hawse vs roller as many think, but by a poor interface between the hawse and the bumper mounting surface structure. All the existing products on the market did little to manage the transition from the hawse through the face of the bumper onto the winch drum. With a large variation in the opening size on bumpers, compounded by the trend to keep increasing the vertical height of the opening in hawse and roller units, this left a sharp exposed steel edge to the winch line. These steel edges are often laser cut at the factory and have the 'perfect' raw edge profile to damage, and subsequently fail, synthetic winch lines. This phenomenon is much more apparent when the line has bunched on the drum like when pulling at a high fleet angle. The unique design of the HOSS address this issue by providing a 1/4" deep step on the back side that is designed to protrude into the bumper mounting face slot to completely cover up that dangerous steel edge further protecting your expensive synthetic winch line.

It doesn't stop there though, the exclusive rear step on the HOSS also locks the unit into the mounting surface of the bumper when installed correctly. The mounting hardware of the HOSS no longer has to take the high angular side loads, nor does the long upper and lower beams have to be totally self supporting the full loads at steep angles.

Note: Yes, the slot in the winch mount does have to be of a specific size to work to it's full potential. The HOSS is designed around a 1.5" x 8.5" (plus clearance) slot with full radius corners. There will be some bumpers on the market that are smaller or larger than this, and that will be something we have to overcome as this detail hopefully becomes a standard in bumper design going forward. Every HOSS will include a 1/16" thick stainless steel trimming template to help you mark and trim the winch mount opening before mounting your HOSS to the bumper with the included hardware. That 1/16" shim can also be used during mounting to slightly change the length of the rear step to better match 3/16" steel used in many bumpers and winch mounts for that perfectly flush rear surface.

I'm just here to share the tech and the idea behind it at this time.
If you would like to learn more, or purchase one, my store link is in my sig below.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Of course the first install had to be a little more complex than normal!

The 8274 mount on my #LX45 is very tight to the bottom of the bumper with the mounting hardware for the winch plate hardware to JUST clear the 3" tall bumper tube. This requires most normal hawse fairleads, including my own design, to be shaved down slightly to tuck under the bumper.

signal-2023-05-03-111704_002.jpegsignal-2023-05-03-111704_003.jpeg

A few minutes on the manual mill for top clearance and a little 45 chamfer on the back for weld clearance gave me the shape I needed.

signal-2023-05-03-111704_004.jpegsignal-2023-05-03-111704_005.jpegsignal-2023-05-03-111704_006.jpeg

Since this was still in the prototype phase, I just 3d printed a trim template for the HOSS mounting. In order for the HOSS to work to its full benefit, the rear step needs to pass beyond the surface of the mounting plate. One the production version, the 3d printed template will be a 16-gauge stainless steel part that is intended not only to act as a trim template, but also as a shim if needed to make the HOSS flush to the rear on a 3/16" thick mounting face if you want.

I made sure to shove a piece of cardboard down between the slot and winch line to keep any sparks away. It only took me about 30 minutes to trim and fit the HOSS to the 1.5 tall x 8.5 wide slot on the bumper. Yes, this is 'extra' work compared to other products on the market, but I very much think it is worth every minute of it to provide extra protection for your winch line AND extra support structure for your fairlead.

signal-2023-05-03-111704_007.jpegsignal-2023-05-03-111704_008.jpeg

Here you can see the rear 'step' on the HOSS locked into the mounting face AND providing complete protection for the winch line from that steel edge no matter how bunched the line is on the drum and at high loads that could cause deflection of the upper or lower beams. With a good fit between the HOSS and mounting plate, the load is transferred through the step to the bumper structure, not just through the mounting hardware.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I slightly modified my production HiLo winch mount plates to be directly compatible with the new HOSS fairlead.

signal-2023-05-12-090205_002.jpegsignal-2023-05-12-090205_003.jpegsignal-2023-05-12-090205_004.jpeg

This more clearly shows how the transition through the mounting plate is intended to provide additional protection for the winch line AND to lock the HOSS into the mounting surface to make the entire system as strong as possible. There is no more risk of the line getting cut by a stray edge on the bumper or risk of the hawse sliding or bending under heavy loads.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
signal-2023-05-23-174347_002.jpegsignal-2023-05-23-174354_002.jpeg

The first batch of #HossFairlead have made it back a little early from the anodizer. The Type III, Class 1 ( dyeless ), Hardcoating process gives this amazing unique straw bronze finish color when coating 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. If the anodizing looks perfectly clear, you are not buying true Type III hardcoat!

The sale on the first batch will continue to the end of the month ( May 2023 ) as I get all the pre-sale orders boxed up and shipped out. This is going to be your last chance to get one at this price unless we a massive decrease in material/process costs.....or perhaps if we start converting the world to using the HOSS ( Harsh Operation Synthetic Safe ) fairlead design!

Thank you so much for all the support and order as #BeeSafeRecoveryGear has continued to grow as another corner of #BrennansGarage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior