How is highway driving with a 2024 4runner TRD Off-Road

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hi, I am looking at a 2024 Four Runner to replace JGC, I know the 4runner is awesome off-road but how is the long distance highway driving? I average 30k miles a year mostly on highway with many drives 7 - 10 hours on highway/interstate. Will these long drives get old in 4Runner.

Thanks

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Hi, I am looking at a 2024 Four Runner to replace JGC, I know the 4runner is awesome off-road but how is the long distance highway driving? I average 30k miles a year mostly on highway with many drives 7 - 10 hours on highway/interstate. Will these long drives get old in 4Runner.

Thanks
They're fine but a slightly used gx460 will put you in the same price zone and is a much nicer place to be.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
About 140k on my 15 4R and very happy with all types of driving. Highway mileage should be better at about 17 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I know it isn't the same but compared to our Wrangler, the 4Runner is much better. That being said, with AT tires, it isn't crazy quieter. I imagine Lexus has that part figured out.

jchasse

They're fine but a slightly used gx460 will put you in the same price zone and is a much nicer place to be.
I've been daily driving 4th and 5th gen 4runners for 13 years, and this post is pretty much all you need to know re: highway driving.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A 2014 Grand Cherokee is unibody independent suspension front and rear, right?

I'd think the 4Runner will be more obviously a truck. Not bad for a truck but is going to be obviously less highway friendly.

The GX is a luxury truck but still a body-on-frame, solid rear axle truck like the 4Runner. I'd imagine will feel OK to you (and they are very nice) but if it's handling that you're after for pavement you may still notice. What makes a GX470 better than the 4Runner is how quiet they are, how much they soak up highway bumps and vibration, not that it's any better in "spirited" driving.

KDSS isn't magic, the laws of vehicle dynamics and physics still apply.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have a 2022 4Runner...and a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I find the F150 more comfortable, and the cabin quieter, than the 4Runner. If in the mountains, with steep grades and high elevation, there is absolutely no comparison. The F150 hardly notices. The 4Runner runs out of breath and struggles, has to shift down so the engine is racing at 3000 rpm.
So when I make long highway trips its the F150 every time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have a 2022 4Runner...and a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I find the F150 more comfortable, and the cabin quieter, than the 4Runner. If in the mountains, with steep grades and high elevation, there is absolutely no comparison. The F150 hardly notices. The 4Runner runs out of breath and struggles, has to shift down so the engine is racing at 3000 rpm.
So when I make long highway trips its the F150 every time.
So you're saying...

An engine that is rated 365 HP@5000 RPM and torque of 420 ft-lb@2500 RPM has more power than one rated 236 HP @ 5200 RPM and 270 ft-lb @ 4000 RPM?

An engine that has forced induction continues to make more power at higher elevation?

Is water still wet, too?

I'll go on a limb and say the 4.6L V8 in the GX460 is going to also have more power in those same situations than the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner. But the 1UR in the Lexus makes 304 HP @5500 RPM and 324 ft-lb @ 3400 RPM so even that won't pull as well as the Ecoboost.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
So you're saying...

An engine that is rated 365 HP@5000 RPM and torque of 420 ft-lb@2500 RPM has more power than one rated 236 HP @ 5200 RPM and 270 ft-lb @ 4000 RPM?

An engine that has forced induction continues to make more power at higher elevation?

Is water still wet, too?

OP wanted opinions on how the 4Runner was on long trips. Since I own one and had an opinion, I answered.

If I could have that Ecoboost in my 4Runner (and some sound deadening in the wheel wells to kill road noise) I'd consider the 4Runner an ideal SUV for anyone who travels rough trails in addition to freeways. I'd actually thought of waiting to buy a 4Runner until Toyota put their twin-turbo V6, the one they put in the Tundra now, in the 4Runner. When I found out that was not going to happen I went with the current V6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior