How should I attach truck cab to camper box?

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
So I've been watching the CUCV M1010 builds as well as the other Chevy builds and have a question. If I wanted to build a custom camper box, how would I attach it to the cab?

I would like pass-through access with seating behind the cab for 3 adults (essentially a 5 passenger camper). I'd like the vehicle to have excellent dirt road capability with occasional twisting of the chassis in washouts, small ledges, etc. My initial thought is to use a large closed cell foam gasket and keep the cab and box separate. However, I would prefer to have an integrated unit.

What are your collective thoughts?

Attachments

• JerryCamper1.jpg
    JerryCamper1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 164

ExpoMike

On the M1010 they use a large, riveted "gasket" that connects the two thru the doorway between the cab and box.

I don't have a good picture of it but you can see at the bottom of the pic, the black part running left to right, that's the gasket. It's a one piece item.

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_15_640.jpg

Unless you figure out a way to make the body one piece (i.e. weld together) and stiffen the frame so it won't flex, I think you would need to keep the box and cab separate.

Back in the days (like 80's) it was common for mini trucks to remove the rear window from the cab and add a shell to the back. You would use this accordin gasket that would push onto the flange in the cab and shell, where the windows would normally go. I don't know if this is still available but that might be an idea. I used to have this in my mini truck years ago.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I would keep the cab and box separate. You will always have some flex there.

Here is a link to a company that specializes in Accordion Boot Material
http://www.accordionboot.com/

I've never used them or the material, but it seems to be their expertise with a wide selection of styles.

pods8

Explorer
I would like pass-through access with seating behind the cab for 3 adults (essentially a 5 passenger camper).

Keep in mind this may have legal implications in this day and age depending on your location. I'm not versed but some areas it illegal to ride in the back of a truck now, if that is the case and you didn't get this registered as an RV then it would be viewed no differently I suspect.

2500ak

Observer
Chevy's generally use tall c-channel frames (they look like this: [ ). If I was to try to connect a cab to a camper I'd box the frame under that area. weld some plate into the channel. Might work, might not, but it was certainly do some good.

chasespeed

Explorer
Got another option...

If you are looking to make a pass through, depending on what size you are working with... I would look into canvas...

We use canvas as isolators in ducting... just about any tin knocker should be able to make one for ya... I have an idea of how I would do it.... tough to explain.... but, done right, would be weathertight, and have plenty of room for twisting....

Chase

Cody1771

Explorer
Chevy's generally use tall c-channel frames (they look like this: [ ). If I was to try to connect a cab to a camper I'd box the frame under that area. weld some plate into the channel. Might work, might not, but it was certainly do some good.

on those frames if you box part it will cause a crack. if your going to box you need to do the whole thing. i would avoid that though if you can. those frames flex A LOT. the flexible coupling would work the best and be the easiest. should be a cool build though!

2500ak

Observer
on those frames if you box part it will cause a crack. if your going to box you need to do the whole thing. i would avoid that though if you can. those frames flex A LOT. the flexible coupling would work the best and be the easiest. should be a cool build though!

That's a fair point.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Thanks, guys.

My truck is a 1986 1/2 ton. I'm planning on a full-resto build beginning later this summer. So far I've got lot of parts collected for the truck/drivetrain and several items for the camper as well.

Basic plan is to swap in a 14-bolt and a Tuned-Port-Injected 350. 35-inch tires and lots of range.

rebar

Adventurer
thread resurrection

I'm thinking about doing this since I cant find a suitable Van. But I would connect the stock box and topper to the cab.

bluebruin

Adventurer
What about some sort of accordion thing like in an articulating bus.... maybe you could make this out of stiff yet thin plastic, or canvas or rubber sheet or something?
articulated-bus-thumb10673141.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan