How tall is too tall for back country, off road use?

84FLH

Looking at a used (good price) hard sided, flat bed camper on 4wd truck that's 10' 8" tall, total. Would be my first ever camper. It seems awfully tall for getting into the deeper back country, particularly on roads where tree limbs may be only 8' over the road. But it's in my price range, has very good features for back country usage, and it's 4wd. But what good is all that if I can't get to the more remote areas in MT, WY, ID, and through BC to AK?

Been reading here for some time and know I'll get great responses from everyone's experience.

Joe917

Explorer
We are 11'6'' . The only places it has been an issue; White Rim, Road to the Sun, and a few Mexican town centers that can be easily avoided. We have friends with similar height vehicles that would not go down the trails we did, but that is a pin striping issue not access.

simple

Adventurer
Hard to pass up a good deal these days. Maybe you could swap out if you decide you want a pop up style.

UHAULER

Explorer
Looking at a used (good price) hard sided, flat bed camper on 4wd truck that's 10' 8" tall, total. Would be my first ever camper. It seems awfully tall for getting into the deeper back country, particularly on roads where tree limbs may be only 8' over the road. But it's in my price range, has very good features for back country usage, and it's 4wd. But what good is all that if I can't get to the more remote areas in MT, WY, ID, and through BC to AK?

Been reading here for some time and know I'll get great responses from everyone's experience.

84FLH

Frenchie;

Outstanding reply. 'Specially this part:

Good price or not the good price, it is not a good price, if what you want to do, you can not do.

Never owned any camper but have browsed this site for a few years. I've no interest in rock crawling or routes that require someone to get out and flag me through. That's too much like work. Would like to go on more than semi-maintained roads, though.

So what I was looking at is not exactly what I want. I think this was featured here a few years ago. Current bid when I saw it a few days ago was $10,900. It was $16,250 at 0600 EST today. It's now $30,000 with 1.5 hours left to bid. There's very little wiggle room inside. Dinette area is quite small. It's not a great space to hang out in all day if it's raining all day. There's not much storage space for clothes or gear (backpacks, skis, boots, folding chairs, etc). I'll wait for the right one to come along. I've got 5 years before I start my world tour.

84FLH

Thanks Uhauler. Have read to stay away from wood framed campers, at least in PNW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12