How to mount ancient Norcold?

urbex

Observer
I recently picked up an OLD Norcold fridge...Well, at least I think it's pretty old. 15q, pale yellow color, doesn't have the automatic AC/DC switch in it, and has the compressor that clangs with the slightest movement (wish I would have known about THAT before buying this thing, lol). Certainly looks like a bit older than my 60q Tek II.

Anyways, other than a ground screw connection on the bottom, the top control panel screws, and what looks like a couple screws to retain the compressor/coil assembly on the bottom, there are no other hardware connections on the outside of this thing. Nor are there any handles, or even holes to mount handles. Even the rubber feet are merely rubber caps placed over rings cast in the all plastic body.

Are there any decent ways of mounting these things in vehicles other than ratchet strapping it down? I'd prefer some type of bolt in mount. I don't need it on a slide. I considered sinking some Riv-nuts into the body of the fridge, but I don't know how well they will hold in the plastic. I also wasn't sure if I could remove the shell of the fridge from the "guts" without destroying something, otherwise I'd insert some steel plate inside the shell with studs poking out, and attach to that.

norcold1.jpgnorcold2.jpgnorcold3.jpg

kbahus

Adventurer
I have a slightly newer version and have the same problem. All I can figure out is to try an Engel fridge slide lock as I am fairly sure it will work. I don't want to spend the $75 to try one though, it is more than I paid for the fridge. I can't figure out why they didn't out some type of tiedown on the fridge to begin with.

urbex

Observer
Unfortunately, that won't work for me either, as the feet on my just slide on over the rings cast into the shell. They aren't secured by screws, or any other kind of fastener..friction fit only.

What I really need is whatever adhesives NASA used to glue together the space shuttle, lol. Although, on a more serious note, I've been thinking about maybe trying something like that plastic weld stuff to secure studs into the bottom, then bolt down using those. I was just hoping someone else may have already run into this and has an idea of what does/doesn't work.

Or perhaps, it's just an excuse to buy a new fridge, and keep this one in the shop to keep drinks cold there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179