How to straighten track arm?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I bent my track arm 2 weeks ago, ever so slightly. Well, I think it's the track arm, not sure if I've got the right term... it's the bar that goes between the left and right steering knuckles?

It's pretty minor, maybe 1/8" or 1/4" over it's length. I was planning on straightening it. Just figured I'd remove it, support it on jack stands and hit it with a BFH (big effing hammer) to get it straight again.

Is there any better way, or a reason this would be a bad idea?

cruiser guy

Explorer
Sounds like the tie rod. Personally I would not straighten it. You do not want to fatigue the metal which would cause the tie rod to become weaker. Get a wheel alignment and see what the alignment shop says.

gjackson

FRGS
1/8" to 1/4" in length can easily be taken out by adjustment. Straightening slight bends can be very difficult. Better yet get the solution from Rover Tracks and you won't have it happen again.

cheers

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Do I recall correctly that Discovery's have the tie rod behind that axle? I seem to recall that there are some bits available to address this issue. Don't recall the particulars.

Concern over a bent one is how bent? Going down the road puts it in compression and Euler rules.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, probably the tie rod. I'm used to tie rods being short little things on independent suspensions. ;)

The bend is almost not noticable it's so slight, I have good eyes for that type of thing. Probably could adjust it out, but with a bent rod, the "column strength" of the thing has gone to hell. So if I can't straighten it, I'll look to replace it.

So people don't just straighten these things? That sucks.

michaelgroves

Explorer
I've straightened them before, though of course one can never get them absolutely perfect, so maybe yours is already as good as it will get. I found a length of water-pipe which fitted quite neatly over the tie rod, and used that to coax the bend out of it. I held the other end of the bent rod in a wide-jawed vice mounted on a very heavy workbench.

The tie rod's a wee bit springy, but not too bad. I rolled it around on a flat floor to see how well it was doing.

Rgds,

Michael...

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
FourByLand said:
www.Rovertracks.com

I called to order one but got no answer and pretty much figured people in Colorado don't really work, maybe you will have better luck.

:)

Call me again..

Actually we do work in Colorado.I have a day job that I start at 6:00AM and Rovertracks that usually keeps me busy at night till at least 9:30 PM.

Makes me sleepy sometimes..

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
revor said:
Call me again..

Actually we do work in Colorado.I have a day job that I start at 6:00AM and Rovertracks that usually keeps me busy at night till at least 9:30 PM.

Makes me sleepy sometimes..

I know, just poking you in the ribs! I spent the money on drilled and slotted but you will be hearing from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman