Howling Moon Rooftop Tents - Now available!

Tent Base - HM uses a wooden ladder structure with foam/poly covered in an aluminium skin, an rails are bolted, EA uses a marine wooden sealed base that has the rails pop-rivited to the base.

I am coming from a Hannibal Classic which has a marine plywood base like the EZ-Awn. I really liked the rock solid feeling vs. the flimsy floor of some of the other tents (ARB, CVT) that I have been in. Does the floor in the Howling Moon feel rock solid or does it flex underneath you?

Willman

I am coming from a Hannibal Classic which has a marine plywood base like the EZ-Awn. I really liked the rock solid feeling vs. the flimsy floor of some of the other tents (ARB, CVT) that I have been in. Does the floor in the Howling Moon feel rock solid or does it flex underneath you?

Super solid!

From Howling Moons Website:

The Base of our tent

A composite bonded structure exactly the same as our caravan side wall construction. The composite construction comprises of a 1 mm aluminium skin on either surface which clads a composite of Pine timber and polystyrene. The construction gives us the edge over our competitors as it gives us a “super light, super strong base with insulation and thermal retention properties.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

Coming from an Eezi-Awn to tthe Howling Moon, I have say it is solid base. We'll be at overland Expo, if you are going, or we also have demos's in our showroom.

jbbdc

Since it appears this thread is still active, I'll ask my question here.

I've pretty much decided that my first RTT will be Howling Moon. I plan to mount it using a http://www.tracrac.com/ on a Ram 3500. I want to mount the tent so that it opens toward the rear of the truck.

I'm assuming from pics I've seen that the HM tent can be mounted to opened from either the side or to the rear of a vehicle. So, my question is...are there pre-drilled holes on the bottom of HM tent bases so that the mounting rails can be attached for either direction, or are people just modifying the bases to work for their desired set-up?

Thanks in advance.

flyingwil

I'm going to dissect your post a little bit and throw in my two cents...
Since it appears this thread is still active, I'll ask my question here.

I've pretty much decided that my first RTT will be Howling Moon. I plan to mount it using a http://www.tracrac.com/ on a Ram 3500.
That will work just fine. We are a TracRac Dealer and we can help with this as well.

I want to mount the tent so that it opens toward the rear of the truck.
You'll need to watch the size of the tent (read width). Since the width is going to determine how it is mounted, typically up to 1.4m tent is mounted so that it can be mounted with the opening in the rear of the vehicle. Think of a sheet a plywood, once you get too wide, it visually starts to look like a spoiler/wing. Once you get above the 1.4m size it becomes more rectangle shaped with the longest side being the side that opens.
I'm assuming from pics I've seen that the HM tent can be mounted to opened from either the side or to the rear of a vehicle.
That is correct, the RTTs come with mounting rails, it is basically a T-slot channel that captures the mounting hardware. This allows the tent to be mounted on several different configurations.

So, my question is...are there pre-drilled holes on the bottom of HM tent bases so that the mounting rails can be attached for either direction, or are people just modifying the bases to work for their desired set-up? ...
In your case with the TracRac and wanting to open off the rear of the RAM you would not need to do anything differently other than your front load bar would not be as far forward as the cab.

If you have any other questions let us know.

jbbdc

You'll need to watch the size of the tent (read width). Since the width is going to determine how it is mounted, typically up to 1.4m tent is mounted so that it can be mounted with the opening in the rear of the vehicle. Think of a sheet a plywood, once you get too wide, it visually starts to look like a spoiler/wing. Once you get above the 1.4m size it becomes more rectangle shaped with the longest side being the side that opens.

Thanks for the great answers.

I understand what you're saying about the "spoiler" appearance of a wider RTT on a vehicle. My Ram is a dually, so maybe the appearance won't look so odd. I'm considering the Stargazer 1.6.

As for shipping...can you ship directly to a home address or will there be delivery limitations because of size/weight of the tent?

flyingwil

Thanks for the great answers.

I understand what you're saying about the "spoiler" appearance of a wider RTT on a vehicle. My Ram is a dually, so maybe the appearance won't look so odd. I'm considering the Stargazer 1.6.

As for shipping...can you ship directly to a home address or will there be delivery limitations because of size/weight of the tent?

Shipping will obviously be freight LTL (less than truck load). With that said they will require a signature. We can set it up as a terminal pick-up or direct to your home or business. Typically they are shipped to business with forklifts. we can combine the shipment to include the TracRac or split them up, the choice is yours.

Looking at the 1.6 it's roughly 64" wide (Opening side) x 48" long when it's closed, so maybe it's time to hold up measuring tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior