Hummin2London

scary fast hummer

Hi, just found the website and this is the first post. If you would like to read about our expediton from Manama, Bahrain to London, UK click on our website and then select the Hummin2London tab. You can meet Aretha, our '92 Hummer H1 desert racer there and a host of other characters. Its a big file so let it load:D

I've modified the big girl for heavy duty desert racing and the story of our Tuareg Rallye action in Morocco is also there.

Hope you enjoy armchair expeditions as much as I do!

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome

Welcome to ExPo!

Your journey was one most of us would not consider, particularly in an iconic American vehicle, given the current political climate. Thanks for sharing the details about the border crossings.

One thought: The "Hummin2London" and "Tuareg Rallye" web pages are so long it's impossible to read in one sitting, and it's hard to navigate to a section of interest. It would help the reader if you displayed the sections of the narrative on their own web pages, with links from a home page. It's just an hour's work, and would make the information you present more accessible.

Chip Haven

scary fast hummer

Quite right! I really have been meaning to do just that. I'll get to it one of these days. I just never seem to get enough time between working on the big girl, raising teenage boys (anybody want a pair cheap?!), and travelling for work. Thanks for the input, I hope you enjoyed the info. Yeah, I don't think I would do it exactly the same today. It was just before this second gulf conflict kicked off. It seems much safer in a big organized rally race (oh, and I love going fast too) though this years Dakar cancellation would seem to contradict that notion.

Still, lifes too short to let the b@st@rds get you down, if you know what I mean!

scary fast hummer

FourByLand said:
Awesome!Glad to have you here... why Aretha?

Um, well, she's big, black and got attitude! 6.2 liters of supercharged V8 diesel makes her a soul sistah. Silly perhaps, but true. When you do something stupid you can almost her say, "You better think, THINK, whatcha tryin to do to me?!"

Its funny, some vehicles just seem masculine, some seem feminin. Aretha is all woman, bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.

gjackson

FRGS
Welcome to Expo! And thank you for proving me wrong! I have counseled several groups to avoid the Hummer for overlanding in North Africa and the Middle East, but as you have shown, that may be inappropriate advise. I have not completed reading your story, but am enjoying it so far.

Again, welcome to Expo.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12