IG: Detailed Axle Spec Information

nickw

Adventurer
Posting this as it's own thread since there are several sub-threads this discussion keeps getting lost in, for folks not interested, no need to discuss since this seems to be a trigger for some. The IG forum has it's own sub-forum for this but very very little information there.

So inquiring minds want to know - what are the detailed specs around axles? I can't find a thing about them outside of the manuf, Carraro.

We know they are (6) lug, semi-float, some are e-locked.

Sid Post

Observer
That manufacturer makes axles of all different sizes and applications.

My 12.000lb Massey tractor has axles from the same maker!

The "Rough Pack" option is what makes it a triple locker.

nickw

Adventurer
That manufacturer makes axles of all different sizes and applications.

My 12.000lb Massey tractor has axles from the same maker!

The "Rough Pack" option is what makes it a triple locker.
"Rough Pack" - say more....

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Wow, Germans took the lead on aftermarket support for the Grenadier. Portals look sweet, and seem like they are an adaptation of the well proven design they have in production for the G Class Mercs..

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
I was curious when you said "triple locker", I think it's center locked stock and you are saying the "rough pack" adds F/R lockers?

Yes, the addition of F & R lockers makes it triple-locked. This is available as the "Rough Pack" option on the Grenadier.

Sid Post

Observer
Their front winch plate was 5k- so these axles are what 50k for the pair?

A Warn winch with Synthetic line seems cheap in comparison!

The Carrero axles ain't shabby either so, if you need to replace them you probably bought the wrong vehicle to start with.

~$85K USD will still buy a reasonable Unimog, won't it?

nickw

Adventurer
There was a vid posted in another post about axle specs.....he called the rear axle a "Full Floater" but it's a bit different than what I've traditionally seen, anybody familiar with this setup? Looks like the axle floats but is not accessible with wheel on, it mates to the hub via studs behind the wheel, wheel bolts on top:

1713549995248.png1713550003231.png

Vs traditional like we see on 3/4+ trucks and LC/Patrols:

1713550056561.png

Looks like it offers some benefits of a FF design; less weight on axle shaft and no concern for losing wheel if your break a shaft BUT falls short when it comes to having to remove wheel to replace axle shaft OR remove axle shaft if broken, I don't see how you could drive without an axle shaft or some sort of backing plate. It's seems to be more of a FF hybrid design sim to Jeeps new "Full Float" axle....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998