im4duke's Manley ORV trailer setup

Im4duke

Observer
I was fortunate to acquire a second hand Manley ORV Utility model. It came with a soft tonneau cover that is really nice, but not very secure. It also came with a rack system which had an ARB RTT, but I sold the tent once the CVT GB was announced.

I have been hoping to learn to weld so I can fabricate my own lid and adjustable height rack system for a RTT, but I can't seem to find enough time, the metal shops are never open when I'm not at work and my summer trip with the kids is only 10 days away. So, I picked up a utility topper and set it on top of some pressure treated 3/4" plywood. It's a bit taller, longer and wider than I would like, but for $275, it will do fine. The color worked out well too. We cleaned out the toolboxes, repainted them and added some rubber liners. The side toolboxes are steel, and everything else is aluminum. The manufacturer told me that the ladder rack holds 250lbs. My tent weighs less than 200 and my kids are pretty light. I get to sleep on a cot in the annex.

Got the CVT tent mounted today. Was super excited until I realized that it was the wrong tent. The tent pictured is a Mt Adams. I ordered a Mt McKinley which has more annex space and covers the ladders. I called Bobby at CVT on Sunday, and he's taking care of it. Good guy. Until the McKinley arrives, we'll use this one. The quality is great and these 4+ person tents are roomy with dual ladders and a separation wall between the kids. Haven't quite figured out how to assemble all the spring poles and the annex yet, but will get to it soon enough.

Back to the topper, I really like it, just would like to size it down a little. Probably not worth cutting it up to make it fit perfectly. I'll either make a more common style lid over time or contact ARE to custom make another similar topper.

Cheers,
Maxx

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 56

Im4duke

Observer
Any suggestions on a steel rail/support structure that I could fabricate to replace the plywood sheet between the topper and the trailer bed? I'd like it to be removable and leave the bulk of the bed open to the topper. One thought is a 1x1 frame (see pic). Thoughts?

topper support frame.jpg

Sardog1

Observer
I like the topper and with the Manley trailer think it's very functional as an overland rig. My concern with adding a tent is that your center of gravity is rather high. Be careful taking corners till you get a good feel for how it reacts to a change of direction.

As far as fitting the topper to the trailer, how about having the topper narrowed by cutting a section out of the middle and welded back together to match the width of the Manley side rails?

Keep us posted on your progress. I have special interest in this as I'm picking up my trailer from Josh at Manley next week! I'll be adding a CVT-07 to it.

Im4duke

Observer
I'm a big fan of the simplicity and quality of Josh's trailer design. You'll love it. I hope he engineers an adjustable height rack.

Agreed on the height and width of the topper. I have had the same thought about cutting ~8" out of the middle. I would need someone to reweld the aluminum structure and the skin and the all the same to the rear door. Depending on what someone would charge me, I'd have to check on the cost of a custom sized unit from ARE. If I had the fab skills like some others here have, it would be a no brainer. Anyone in Columbus interested....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12