Impressions of the AT Teardrop

Willman

Nice review guys!

Those are some cool trailers!

It would be cool to figure out some type of awning with walls that covers the back under rainy or windy days when cooking....

Keep up the great work AT!

:)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nice review guys!

Those are some cool trailers!

It would be cool to figure out some type of awning with walls that covers the back under rainy or windy days when cooking....

Keep up the great work AT!

:)

Wilman

We hope to achieve that with the front runner awning, it has the option of wall panels.

In the picture below the awning is attached to the roof rack along a 3 ft section in the middle, the rest is supported by the poles. The 3 ft section on the AT Teardrop would be attached to the rear hatch.

The awning can be self supporting, and walls can be added.

Attachments

• FRAWN01.jpg
    FRAWN01.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 81
  • FRAWN03.jpg
    FRAWN03.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 104

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Shelter from the elements during cooking.

Graham and Connie thanks for the feedback.

Martyn,
I believe the key to the awning would be speed of deployment. Could you do something like the Hannibal where you don't have to deal with additional poles, pegs and ropes? I'm sure you guys are all over it.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Graham, thanks very much for your lengthy and comprensive post on the A/T Teardrop. As you know I have been on the fence ever since I saw one at the 2009 Expo. I know it would be way superior to my current trailer for serious off-road trips, but the small interior would possibly prove too cramped for a live-in use. I keep telling myself I won't live there; only sleep there. But as I write this I am in my trailer during a prolonged rain here in Central Florida and wondering how I would handle it with the small Teardrop. The Oasis would be way more roomy but set up would be a problem for me and it's still a tent, even with the best material available. I like the security of the solid walls on the TD; keeps prowlers at bay (2 & 4-leg), solid walls to lean on, place to mount things to make it more like home, survive about any storm, no canvas flapping, no mildew issues or waiting to dry out.

I have a concern with the TD you also mentioned.. how to cook in wind/rain. I envision a hooded rainfly over the rear like in an old covered wagon and a HD awning side mounted with a add-a-room. Mario and I discussed the last option some time back.

I have heard there are several A/T Teardrops in use now and would like to hear from other owners about their experience.

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Custom Teardrops are available.

Martyn,

About the only thing holding me back from placing an order is the small living area in the TD. Seeing your post on custom building one really got my attention. Would it be possible/pracitical to add more cabin width without increasing wheel track by off setting the wheel wells into the cabin some distance. I realise this would diminish interior room some but as it would be down in the leg area I don't believe it would be any detraction. Be about like sleeping in the bed of a pickup. What do you think?

Another thought on a awning that could cover the side and rear of the trailer would be the new Batwing awning from Rhino Rack. I would also like to see some kind of panels on the side of the lift hatch to block side winds.

I have been continously impressed by the stuff you guys build and truly hope we can come up with something that suits my rather unique need.

Ace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger