Improving headlight options.

Exactly.
And the current goals are to safely emit light from the OEM locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. But I have had my retinas blasted often by LED equipped factory headlights. Particularly when the power spectrum is biased towards 400nm. Old old sealed beam incandescents produce visible light via the usual blackbody radiation mechanism (Wien displacement curve) and therefore produce little towards the UV edge of the spectrum, but lots of IR (much more IR than visible)
Getting blasted by “legal” LEDs tuned towards blue is very uncomfortable and IMHO dangerous (unsafe).
I think LED bulbs sold for OEM headlight bulb replacement (all halogen these days unless already LED as factory option) should be required to emit light in the longer wavelengths.
UV emitting death rays should be for offroad use only, and wired properly.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
There are two main problems with having powerful high beam headlights, first is the difference when switching to low beams is so pronounced, it is like turning your headlights off, until you eyes re-adjust. I only use the roof lights when there is not likely to be much traffic, as the lower ones are quite good by themselves. The real advantage of the roof lights is the ability to see the washouts and over the small bumps on dirt roads. They help lighting up over the crest of hills, giving an extra 50m or so distance which can be quite important.

The second thing is the reflections back from road signs, they are very bright,and it mean you can' read them at all until they get closer. The yellow speed advisory sign are pretty important to us, as they are how fast we need to go around the corner. Normally we are driving slower than we do during the day, especially on twisty roads, so not a problem. The upside is that you can see the corner coming up like it was daylight.

Video Snapshot00033.jpg

The video will be another couple of week away, we need some more footage to make it more interesting.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
For those of us in Queensland ( and most of Australia) this is the law. Our outer light are "Working" lights, and do not come on with the high beams. We only use them off road. The light bar ( and the big box) you have on your truck would not be legal over here Charlie. Changing the OEM headlight globes to LED or HID is also illegal.

1682898016686.png

1682898180485.png

Well aware of that, thanks Iain. My lights only come on, with or without high beams when enabled by the driving light switch.
As mentioned, looking at oncoming stock LED headlights is painful for me and I’d never want to inflict worse on someone else.
Going to Europe and southern Africa next year; I wonder if Great Whites make a cover for my light bar?
Besides, I can probably count the number of times I’ve driven the vehicle at night in 17 years on both hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online