Inexpensive Forester Skid Plate(s)

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'm looking into skidplates for my girlfriend's 2002 Subaru Forester, she uses it off road a few times a year, and managed to tear off the factory front plastic skidplate in doing so.

I was wondering, are there any skidplates available which are cheaper than the $150 the dealer quoted for a replacement? (apparently there are zero subies in junkyards down here, so that's not an option) An upgrade is very much preferred, so it won't happen again.

I would be willing to fab one if there's a material which doesn't require welding etc that's stronger than plastic. I'm primarily a Nissan guy, I know on Xterras there have been some experiments with HDPE that have yielded some decent results...

Or if you have designs for your own custom ones that I could possibly have fabbed at a metal shop that'd be great too.

We thank you for the help!

JacksonRally

Adventurer
+1 for Primitive bolt on goodness. They also have rear diff protectors or you can get rear in steel from Subaru dealer.

tacksman

Observer
I just bought Primitives Ultra Armor kit. I would say it is well worth the piece of mind if you plan on keeping the car.

sonic reducer

if you are feeling froggy, making one out of aluminum 1/8 sheet shouldn't be hard. find a place that sells scrap metal and remnants by the pound and get your materials. make a template with cardboard and trace to your material. a sheetmetal shop won't charge you much to put a couple bends into it if you bring it by all laid out. the stuff can be cut with any number of woodworking saws. I prefer a skill saw and a straight edge. or a jigsaw for contours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12