Inflatable roof top/Ground hybrid tents, anybody tried them?

overl4nd

I am talking to a seller on Alibaba (actually a manufacturer) who sells tents of this type

They are about 35kgs, and you just inflate and tie to your roof tack, so kind of a temporary roof top tent which does not need to live on the truck, hence does not have the downsides like gas mileage, loss of rack space. And has the advantages of a RTT so you don't need clearing etc, to setup (must have when dispersed camping)

The size at 62" wide mattress is also larger than a falcon XL, and price with shipping (30 days via ship) is about 800$

I am tempted to pull the trigger, as I do not want to put a perment tent on top of my Tundra smartcap. I will build a 4040 extrusion platform rack, and then use that as the base for this.

Wanted to hear your opinions as there is hardly any information out there. The manufacturer does state that if multiple people buy the total cost can come down. I am wondering if there is enough interest maybe we can do a group buy and see?

the exact tent is available on the manufacturer store at Amazon for 1500$

I saw a user review on that Amazon page, and it seems like an interesting product for the price. The only competition is an European company with 4000$ inflatable tent.

DCH109

Adventurer
That is interesting.
If you are talking about Karsten tents out of Holland, I will tell you there is zero comparison here. I owned one of their tents that was about 20 years old and looked new. They are heavy canvas utilizing fire hose type material for the air bladders. With that you need to use the guy lines to make sure it is stable in wind.

I would be worried about a inflatable tent on the roof without any guy lines and how it will stand up in high wind. Looking at the pictures I would also worry about the material of not only the tent but the bladder.
All of that said, for $800-$1500 I would invest in a traditional RTT or save up for something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior