Inner tube offset, can't find right tube

Rickshawjr

I purchased new 7.00 x 16 ndt tires and tubes from Coker but the offset for the valve stem is not in the right location on the tube. The hole in the rim is about 3 inches from where the valve stem is located. I took the tires, tubes, and rims to a tire shop and they installed it with no tubes. It's currently holding air but Coker said that a tube is required to run that tire because the bead needs to seat from the pressure of the tube. The tire shop said the NDT tires set the bead fine on the rims that I have. They used some goop to help seal the bead. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know the correct tube to order? I currently have the 700R 16 offset radial tube with a tr15 valve stem that does not fit.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
It sounds like the issue is either: (1) the location of the valve stem hole on the wheels you are using (which might be the case if your wheels are not designed for tube type tires); or (2) the valve stem hole location is correct for tube type tires but the tube size you are using is incorrect for your wheel and/or tire.

I use Denman 700-16 NDCC tires on my Bantam T3-C trailer mounted on early Jeep wheels. These OEM wheels were manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes and measure 16" x 4 1/2" wide. I had no issues fitting inner tubes with these wheels. The valve stem hole is in exactly the right place for the tubes.

I purchased my tires and tubes from Lucas Classic Tires, 2850 Temple Ave., Long Beach, CA 90806, 800-952-4333, 562-595-6721.

You might try contacting Lucas Classic Tires for further information on available tubes that might work, or confirmation that your existing wheels can/cannot be used with tubes. Their website now lists STA military tires rather than Denman military tires, but the tubes for the 700-16 military tires are the same as the ones I purchased - "700/750-16 TR-15 rubber stem tube, $17 ea."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998