Insect repelling arm bands

The_Dude

Adventurer
Has anyone used these? Is there a brand that works better than another? I get bit by mosquitos about 100 to 1 vs my wife. I would consider wearing them on both wrists and ankles if there are good ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's one article that says that bands reduce but don't eliminate bites. The effect is local to the band, so your head and neck are vulnerable.
https://cameronwebb.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/do-mosquito-repellent-wrist-bands-work/

I hate DEET, and have seen it destroy eyeglasses and plastic covers on binoculars. But the nasty stuff is the most effective. I use DEET in stick form so I don't get it on my fingers. I apply DEET to my ears and along my hairline. I combine citronella with sunscreen cream for my face and neck, and apply it frequently. To complete the protection, I wear long sleeves, and keep my trousers tucked into my socks.

The worst mosquitoes I've ever seen were in central Alaska and the Everglades. Nothing in the Amazon compares. Almost as bad are the biting black flies in Maine, New Brunswick and Quebec. In these cases, a head net worn over your wide brim hat is the best, maybe only, solution.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I used some when I went to Southern Africa. They seemed to work well, but it was early winter so there weren't a lot of mosquitoes about. I used some that looked like leather bracelets. The only problem I found was once the bag was opened you couldn't get away from the smell. I resealed them in a ziplock bag but could still smell them so buy as many as you can use at one time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOED9AK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chad

Wilbah

Adventurer
I use 100% DEET in Maine for the blackflies which as Haven said can be nasty. I also fly fish so need to keep my fingers clear of it. I find it works fine if I put some on the back of my left hand and smear it on my face and neck etc. that way. Never tried the bands, but would be willing to.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I use 100% DEET in Maine for the blackflies which as Haven said can be nasty. I also fly fish so need to keep my fingers clear of it. I find it works fine if I put some on the back of my left hand and smear it on my face and neck etc. that way. Never tried the bands, but would be willing to.

I use my hands to spread the DEET and then wash them, but they'll go for the back of your hand if there's no DEET on it. I was in Maine last week and encountered black flies like I've never seen in my life. Maybe because I camped next to a river. I applied DEET heavily to all exposed skin, directly on my face, and on my hat but still got a lot of bites. I got up at 5:00 a.m. and the black flies found me instantly. They're not supposed to be out at that hour but they were. Impossible to spend any time outdoors, except that they disappeared after sunset. They mobbed me just running from the car to the tent. The only peace was sitting at the end of a dock in a strong wind.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Here in Grand Junction we have mosquitos and gnats. The gnats are almost worse than the skeeters.

Long Shot

Has anyone used these? Is there a brand that works better than another? I get bit by mosquitos about 100 to 1 vs my wife. I would consider wearing them on both wrists and ankles if there are good ones!

On summer trips into the backcountry around Jasper, I use a wristband called Bugchaser and have found it to be quite effective for repelling mosquitos and black flies (gnats). My dog is always with me and I clip a band to his collar to keep the bugs out of his ears and off his snout. They are a bit spendy but I prefer them to other repellents.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I work around wetlands a lot and am one those people that attract a lot of biting insects.

Latest research rates the Lemon Eucalyptus pretty highly. It's what I use during field work these days (has to be reapplied a bit more often) and it seems to be anecdotally as effective as DEET. I stopped using 100% DEET when I had some on my hand and it stripped the paint from a red handled net I was using.

The wrist bands, fans, clips on, etc don't seem to work well at all when I've tried them in super buggy areas.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...s-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm a contractor for Agilent Technologies, the former HP unit that manufactures chemical analysis equipment. I'm the administrator of one of their training labs.
Read this: http://blog.agilent.com/2014/08/14/why-you-attract-mosquitoes/
and this: http://elcaminosantiago.com/PDF/Mosquitoes_And_Mosquito_Repellents.pdf

There are two products that Agilent led me to that I use:
I spray this on clothing and put this on exposed skin.
Worked at LBL and in the 'Glades...
Same recipe the military uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998