Installed a set of bosch driving housings with HID on the suburban today.....arrgghhh

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep. that's exactly what happened. the bulb is much longer in the H7, but I sort of offset it because they would not go all the way in. ha ha. I knew it was going to be wonky, but better than none at all. The bosch housings are JACKED too. They were on the front of my brothers RX7 since 1990. Just rotting since 96. We plucked them off when he sold the car in 2006. They have been sitting in my garage ever since. Finally added them to the burb for some light. I am going to do the Hi/Low mod on the head lights and try some upgraded bulbs. I have used HID in my wrangler, F150, patriot and Mazda 5 in the past. the F150, patriot and 5 were great, the wrangler was terrible.

ChevyPit

Observer
I was one of the first importers of HID to Guatemala (about 12 years ago), sold a whole bunch of them, but then really cheap Chinese came and business didn't leave much of a profit. That's why I learned a few things about HID. Since then I changed to LED.
It's funny how all of us here end up doing a lot of similar upgrades to our vehicles. I have Hi/low mod in all my suv and trucks, the last kit I bought was this one for a 2000 Yukon xl:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQQVCBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I installed it 4 months ago and has been good. It says for 99-02, maybe the same seller has one for your year.
What I do, is I install LED on low beam and regular 55W or 90W halogen on hi beams (I like the yellowish light), but you can add LED to hi beams. And also wired some Bosch Rallye 225 to the Hi beams (had them since the 90's). Wanting to change them for some round 7in 60W LED, but can't convince myself of spending that money when the Bosch still work really well (metal housing + real glass).
My appreciation between HID and LED: HID (the ones I sold) last longer, I even have 1 kit on a suburban (it has 5 years), LED so far have lasted 2 years, I know I should put in in work hours, but definetly not the 30 or 40,000 hours they say. LED 6000K give a whiter light than HID. They use the same 35W. The amount of light (lumens) is about the same, I know in paper the LED say more but not on real life. LED's light up right away, the HID take 3-5 sec to fully light. LED have the back fan to cool, and in some vehicles you may have to trim so they will fit.
Sorry for the long post, but I think it will help, and like I said, we all are on the same path.

rayra

Expedition Leader
if you are going after the MAF and have an uneven idle, also consider pulling and cleaning the idle air solenoid and it's mounting location in the throttle body. If you just spray cleaner in the throttle body port, you just flush the crud further back into the idle air solenoid, which will gum it up worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior