Installing new winch - wiring upgrade?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Considering how many M8000s and other Warn winches are out there, if it was a problem, we would've heard about it/problem corrected.

I also bet there is an engineer somewhere at Warn that has a few calculations on the subject. They might've run a number or two to come up with what they've got.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
My old Warn XD9000 came with 2GA battery leads and 4GA leads from the solenoid box to the winch. Those BTW are color coded and need to be connected correctly. For a very small investment, you could add a 3rd lead that is the same GA as the battery cables. Then you can mount the solenoid box out of harms way a little. Just need 2 battery cables after that. Be sure to seal your connections as well as possible. What kind of cut-out switch are you installing? Why? You can re-wire the solenoid box to get control power from an ignition switched source. Wire in a nice DPDT momentary switch to the center console, and you"ll probably never want to use the hand-held remote.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I was planning to install a cut-off switch to prevent vandals from activating the winch at the contacts, as I have heard stories of. I bought a Blue Sea 6006 http://bluesea.com/products/6006

Since then I have run across the idea of mounting the solenoid box in the engine compartment, but haven't looked into it further than that yet...

86tuning

Adventurer
I was planning to install a cut-off switch to prevent vandals from activating the winch at the contacts, as I have heard stories of. I bought a Blue Sea 6006 http://bluesea.com/products/6006

Since then I have run across the idea of mounting the solenoid box in the engine compartment, but haven't looked into it further than that yet...

Definately remote mount the solenoid box. With the solenoid box not accessable, the winch cannot be energized. You won't need a cutoff switch, the solenoid box IS the cutoff switch.

On a regular setup, the wires that are supplied will work fine. With longer wires, it's almost always a good idea to go bigger.

When you install interior winch controls, be sure to have a master switch so that you cannot accidentally engage the winch from inside. The two-switch interlock system also helps prevent accidental use by children(!) and other people with busy fingers.

Mine is controlled two ways:
1. ignition must be on (engine does not have to be running, but it's a good idea)
2. master switch

My winch controls are on the left, by the window, so that they're reachable from outside the vehicle as well, and not likely to be pushed by my passengers looking for heater controls and stuff.

I'm not a fan of toggle switches, they're too easy to accidentally actuate. That's why aircraft have those fancy red covers....

Good luck, and have fun with your installation!

- Brian

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into installing the solenoid box in the engine compartment.

At this time I don't have any plans to run controls to the passenger compartment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger