Insulating covers for large resettable breakers?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Here's a question for the gurus. I know a lot of us are using the high-amperage re-settable breakers from Bussman, Powerwerks, etc. :
resettable-circuit-breaker-cooper-bussmann-25-150a_580.jpg

They always include those dinky rubber caps to cover the top of the screw terminals, but the truth of the matter is that if you've got a big cable (sized to match/exceed the breaker rating), the little rubber cap doesn't do much.

I know I've got three of these in my rig, and only one of them is mounted in a place where I'm 100% confident that I never have to worry about stray contact to either the hot or fused side of the device. I know I'm not the only one who has these things mounted on a panel, etc. How does everyone else insulate their breakers against accidental contact?

Even with taking the heat-shrink as far up the terminal as possible, there's always at least a 1/2" or so of a big crimped ring terminal and the post sticking out on the two corners. The rubber caps are't going to help me. I need to be able to easily open/close at least one of mine, so a full enclosure is impractical, but I feel really nervous having hot terminals (with big deep cycle battery connections) exposed where an unknowing passenger could accidentally try to stuff a bag or whatever into a nook and cause a short with a buckle, or water bottle, etc.

I'm considering at least trying to heat-bend some acrylic guards to attach over the top that will still let me reach a finger down to the trip button and reset lever. Any other ideas?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks ryan212,

Did so and found some boots for studs. (I'd only seen the kind for auto battery posts on my last search) Hopefully they'll work with the crimp tabs I'm using!

rayra

Expedition Leader
523843.jpg

Wire it up, slop it on, forget about it.

it's available in the appropriate colors.

Not recommended for those afflicted with OCD or fussiness.

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12