Introducing myself and my trailer idea

Erwin 110TD5

Hi there,

At first some apology for my bad English, I'd dutch....

I've been reading this trailer-part of the expedition portal for a few weeks now and have red several hours on the most differtent topic's. Myself i have a M416 trailer (in dutch it is called an Polynorm or Bantam)

My rooftent was placed on it, but for more stowageroom and even an extra sleeping place i want to build an custom trailer from it.

My first idea was to remove everything from the chassis and build up a new body, however....during the periode we won't use the trailer for camping it is used for wat is was made for....transporting stuff, sand, wood etc.

So i want to build an custom take-off unit...that can be place in/on the standard trailer but can be taken off during the non-camping periods.

Is there someone that made this idea, not nesseceraly on an M416 trailer, that can give me some inspiration ??

With kind regards,
Erwin
LaRo Defender 110TD5
http://home.wanadoo.nl/eterriet

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Hello!

This is likely WAY overbuilt for what you are intending, but the basic idea of what you are talking about is exactly what I am building. My build is here-at least what I have documented so far. I have more done, but haven't got pics uploaded yet.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30224

It will be a multi-purpose off-road trailer with camping in mind, and eventually a roof-top tent I THINK, mounted on top. The lid and tailgate are independant of each other and both can be removed, or used in conjunction with-or without-each other for utility purposes when NOT camping. I haul all kinds of other things much of the time-basic yard debris, rock, gravel, dirt, household items, wood, logs, etc., etc. This will do all of that for me, then clean up nice and be ready to camp when I want it to.

Again, it's likely built MUCH heavier than what you need. I'm building it for MY uses and what I do with my trailers here. I need it tough and able to withstand heavy abuse so I'm hoping this will be up to the task. We'll see how it goes when I get it finished... I know this much, my other trailers are NOT up to the task of anything I put them through off-road, so based off those, this should stand a pretty fair chance.

My not be exactly what you're thinking of or intending to do, but hopefully something to spark a thought or two.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Erwin 110TD5

Hello!

This is likely WAY overbuilt for what you are intending, but the basic idea of what you are talking about is exactly what I am building. My build is here-at least what I have documented so far. I have more done, but haven't got pics uploaded yet.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30224

It will be a multi-purpose off-road trailer with camping in mind, and eventually a roof-top tent I THINK, mounted on top. The lid and tailgate are independant of each other and both can be removed, or used in conjunction with-or without-each other for utility purposes when NOT camping. I haul all kinds of other things much of the time-basic yard debris, rock, gravel, dirt, household items, wood, logs, etc., etc. This will do all of that for me, then clean up nice and be ready to camp when I want it to.

Again, it's likely built MUCH heavier than what you need. I'm building it for MY uses and what I do with my trailers here. I need it tough and able to withstand heavy abuse so I'm hoping this will be up to the task. We'll see how it goes when I get it finished... I know this much, my other trailers are NOT up to the task of anything I put them through off-road, so based off those, this should stand a pretty fair chance.

My not be exactly what you're thinking of or intending to do, but hopefully something to spark a thought or two.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Had a look on your project-link this week, really love the small led-lights! Wonder if they can be ordered over here to.....

However i like your idea, i saw you did an complete new build.... My idea is the restaurate the M416 trailer i have an to build a seperate unit on top of it, I have done some drawing this week, but still not happy with my results...so more thinking :drool:

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Hello! I'm very sorry for my poor reading abilities-that's what I get for responding in the late hours after working long shifts. I see now you're wanting to mod your M416 a bit. Sorry for the confusion. BTW-the company I work for has a few processing plants over there in Kruenigen, Bergen Op Zoom I THINK, Oosterbergen and one in England. Forgive my spelling-I don't deal with them directly and it's been a while since I had to do anything relating to over-seas stuff. Sorry if I totally butchered the names, hopefully you know what I mean. We've had many people come over from Holland I've had the opportunity to meet over the years. All very nice, and fun, good folks!

Hey if you're interested in some of those lights-let me know. I talk with Josh a bit and would be happy to see if he can ship some to you overseas. Not sure what shipping would cost, but I can sure ask for you if you like. I'm assuming you mean the Mini-me small 4 led lights that were roughly 1" long x .5" wide correct? They are actually meant for "rock lights" for Jeeps and sold in 6 packs, or sets of 8, but he breaks them down into singles as well and will set you up with whatever wiring you need. I am using them in the lid of my trailer to light up the bed of the trailer so I can see to unload at night, and in the tool box as well. If you're seriously interested, let me know and I'll see if he can work something out for you. If you meant the larger trailer lights, no problem there either, I can talk to Doug too for you if you need something. He's actually just a couple hours away from me over on the west side of the state.

Interested to see what you come up with for your trailer mods.

Best of Luck,

Mike

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Hey, just thought I'd let you know I was talking with Josh last night about some other things and asked about shipping to Holland. It's no problem at all, he'd be happy to. If you're serious and need something, just give him a hollar and he'll get it to you. Here's a link to his site to the mini-me's specifically, but he does have a little larger one as well depending on what you need. I was worried about a full trailer and lid closed and not wanting to hit them with anything else as they'll be mounted on a 1x2 laying flat, so I went with the little guys, which should work perfect for my application.

http://www.skinnypedal.net/index_files/minime.htm

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman