Introducing Rosa, FG bus build

Magnetixx

Hello!
It's been a while since I've been here. Started a build thread about 8 years ago but with a new baby, job and family stuff the truck got built but the online posts didn't. Gonna try and do a bit better this time.

Our subject is a 1992 Mitsubishi Rosa 4x4 camper, imported from Japan earlier this year. Found this lil gal in Sacramento, CA and my wife and I both got a terminal case of van fever upon discovering it. Two weeks later (last weekend) we put a deposit on it while we sell some stuff to make room and cash for it.

We live in northern Nevada where the weather is extreme and after a variety of camping arrangements we knew we needed a hard-sided camper to stay out during winter and the various gales, freezes, dust devils etc. that plague the area. After rambling Europe in a van, our family of three knew we could handle a smaller rig but when we saw Rosa it was clear that a bit bigger would be a lot better. I'm a 4x4 nut and have wanted an FG for a while so this fit the bill.

I haven't found much information about Rosas so far, as they appear to be all but nonexistent in the States and aren't commonly made into campers in Aus like the Toyota Coaster. Nevertheless, the Rosa has good bones. A 1992 FG at heart, its got low range, massive axles, leaf springs, manual trans, 4.2L mechanical diesel. Also, this specimen has already been made into a camper so no removing gross seats and building stuff. Its got an inverter, fridge, dining area and convertible bed. It even came equipped with a full karaoke setup! Plans are to do a bit of clean up, examine and verify the various electrical add-ons, translate some Japanese signage, remove the lower body skirt, service the engine and put some real tires on it then just go. Which leads me to a question for the Fuso knowledgable. This bus has cast 17.5" 5 lug wheels on it. I found a set of 16" stock wheels that I want to use to run 315/75r16s but I don't have the bus in front of me and the wheels have to be ordered. Does anyone know if 16s will clear the front drums? My reading seems to indicate that 17.5"ers came after 1992 and I suspect they were added as part of the camper conversion as they match color. I'd like to order the wheels and tires so I could slap em on when we get the bus but don't want to find out they're too small. Also, if anyone has a set of 5 lug 17" super singles laying around (fat chance), I'd make a deal on em. So, allow me to present Rosa! IMG_8113.jpeg
We pick her up in a few weeks. More to come...
Dan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If your Rosa is fitted with the same running gear as the Canter, then a 16" rim will fit, as that is what was standard equipment on the Canter.
Eathcruiser USA maybe a point of contact if you are after 17" singles. They may not have them, but might be able to help you locating some.
A suspension lift might also be beneficial, as it will give you better ground clearance, which would likely allow you to go to more remote places.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hello!
It's been a while since I've been here. Started a build thread about 8 years ago but with a new baby, job and family stuff the truck got built but the online posts didn't. Gonna try and do a bit better this time.

Our subject is a 1992 Mitsubishi Rosa 4x4 camper, imported from Japan earlier this year. Found this lil gal in Sacramento, CA and my wife and I both got a terminal case of van fever upon discovering it. Two weeks later (last weekend) we put a deposit on it while we sell some stuff to make room and cash for it.

We live in northern Nevada where the weather is extreme and after a variety of camping arrangements we knew we needed a hard-sided camper to stay out during winter and the various gales, freezes, dust devils etc. that plague the area. After rambling Europe in a van, our family of three knew we could handle a smaller rig but when we saw Rosa it was clear that a bit bigger would be a lot better. I'm a 4x4 nut and have wanted an FG for a while so this fit the bill.

I haven't found much information about Rosas so far, as they appear to be all but nonexistent in the States and aren't commonly made into campers in Aus like the Toyota Coaster. Nevertheless, the Rosa has good bones. A 1992 FG at heart, its got low range, massive axles, leaf springs, manual trans, 4.2L mechanical diesel. Also, this specimen has already been made into a camper so no removing gross seats and building stuff. Its got an inverter, fridge, dining area and convertible bed. It even came equipped with a full karaoke setup! Plans are to do a bit of clean up, examine and verify the various electrical add-ons, translate some Japanese signage, remove the lower body skirt, service the engine and put some real tires on it then just go. Which leads me to a question for the Fuso knowledgable. This bus has cast 17.5" 5 lug wheels on it. I found a set of 16" stock wheels that I want to use to run 315/75r16s but I don't have the bus in front of me and the wheels have to be ordered. Does anyone know if 16s will clear the front drums? My reading seems to indicate that 17.5"ers came after 1992 and I suspect they were added as part of the camper conversion as they match color. I'd like to order the wheels and tires so I could slap em on when we get the bus but don't want to find out they're too small. Also, if anyone has a set of 5 lug 17" super singles laying around (fat chance), I'd make a deal on em. So, allow me to present Rosa! IMG_8113.jpeg
We pick her up in a few weeks. More to come...
Dan
You will have trouble running 315/75r16" on stock rims.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
The stock rims are not wide enough for 315/75r16 tyres. You have to use tubes as they are split rims. They will be that bulged out in the side walls and will be kissing when mounted as duals. You may get away with 8.25x16"s if you keep the pressure up. 9.00x16"s definitely kiss in dual setup. Some say that 900R16 (225/100R16) Michelin XZL 126 (134J) TL can be used as they are heavy in the side wall and still kiss under load.
So the choice is yours,
Dan.

Wazak

Nice Bus mate, have you any idea of the length? I'm thinking that something along the size of Rosa would suit me fine over here in the UK.

Magnetixx

Thanks for the replys. I should have mentioned that I plan to run singles in the rear so not worried about tires interfering with each other, but last night I did discover that the stock wheels are only 6" wide and the 315s call for 8" minimum. Michelin xzls seem impossible to find. Im pondering recentered H1 surplus wheels now. Good availability and reasonable price and beadlock as a bonus, limited tire choices.

The bus is about 22 feet long. I consider it the biggest of the "small" vehicles you could live in, its actually no longer than the biggest Sprinter here in the states.
Thanks!

BigSkyBrad

My parents had a Rosa camper in NZ, but only 2wd auto I'm afraid. It didn't stop them doing a lot of gravel roads though, and only once had an issue on tour when new front disc pads required replacing. The bus was a used jap import (still had it's last tachograph paper disc from Japan in its printer in the dash) and was converted by the previous NZ owner.
DSCF3927.JPGDSCF3959.JPG

Magnetixx

BigSkyBrad thats a great looking machine. A tilt out awning like that is definitely on the list of things to get.

I just got off the phone with Trailworthy Fab. Super helpful and knowledgeable. Looks like I can get a set of 4 custom re-centered H1 beadlocks with Goodyear 37" tires shipped for about $2k. Considering the used 16" wheels I was planning on were $700 shipped and Toyo 315s were about $1400, I may even come out slightly ahead with this option. Now to find out if 37s will fit on a Rosa...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior