iPad as tool for serious photography

Everyone has their own opinion on whether it would be useful for them, but I have to say as a commercial photographer it as been an invaluable tool. I don't see my uses parallel the linked article, but I think its has a place.

I precisely agree... just the other day I was in a remote area, got the great shot - transferred pics on to the iPad, leaving the full-size jpegs and RAWs on the camera - edited a touch with Photogene on the iPad - emailed the result to the local newspaper from the iPad, and that was paying its way next morning - and the full-res pic will be in a magazine next month. Nice. It has its place.

FortyTwo

Observer
I precisely agree... just the other day I was in a remote area, got the great shot - transferred pics on to the iPad, leaving the full-size jpegs and RAWs on the camera - edited a touch with Photogene on the iPad - emailed the result to the local newspaper from the iPad, and that was paying its way next morning - and the full-res pic will be in a magazine next month. Nice. It has its place.

Yep. My real life example is shooting a job tethered to Cap1 and and having an Art Director/client viewing and rating live on the iPad via Pilot. And because it's streamed, they're not huddling around the laptop while I'm looking at other details.

And you can't beat having an instant portfolio available at a moment's notice. Can't always carry your printed book around.

Sounds like a couple examples of payed photographers getting good use of an iPad. Seems to validate it for "serious" photography :)

Michael Slade

Untitled
Maybe you could just open a large white screen on the ipad and use it as a light table for your transparencies

;-)

Actually I kind of like that idea. I would almost bet that the art director had never seen a presentation like that before. Thanks for the idea.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was tasked with taking pics last weekend when my sister threw a "big" (~60 attendees) easter egg hunt for friends and family. As I shot, I periodically paused to allow me to use the camera connect kit to dump pics to my iPad to share with the attendees.

Everyone loved being able to immediately see the images. If I was a pro, I wold definitely consider it as a sales tool allowing clients to either immediately give feedback on shot changes they'd like or choose images they want limiting the amount of post processing required for the job.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Despite the lack of a flash, this person still tried to use their iPad as a camera

Family-photo-of-the-Sunset-L.jpg

smbisig

Adventurer
I am starting to notice photographers who are shooting on deadlines using the ipads for capture, crop, caption (IPTC) and transmitting. Mainly the people who are using them are people who are shooting pro baseball.

As a photographer that shoots a lot of Seattle Mariners baseball and has to transmit throughout the games, I could see how it could come in handy. Especially when I usually have my laptop setup in one photo well, and I am moving around to other photo wells.

I still haven't purchased one, but its on my equipment wish list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12